Help with sick cardinal tetra

mrober20

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,

Today I found one of my cardinal tetras was unwell (see pictures). It is behaving normally but has a white patch on it's side and a red lump on it's head. A couple of months ago I managed to suck up one of my cardinal tetra's with the gravel vacuum while doing tank maintenance. It may have been this fish. All other tank mates are well.

Tank perimeters =

1 year old 20g tank
Temp = 80
PH = 7.5
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5

IMAG0421_BURST002.jpgIMAG0419_BURST002.jpgIMAG0417_BURST002.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos.

The tetra is currently in a hospital tank. If anyone could suggest what they think may be wrong with this fish and any recommended treatment it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Michael

Last edited:

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is the hospital tank cycled? If not, that will make things worse. I did a few searches but I wasn't going to suggest treatment because I'm not sure. The search for 'red lump on tetra' came up with Lymphocystis.

baggy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry to hear you fish is poorly

your readings all say 0, is this for your hospital tank or your 20g?

you should have some nitrates unless its heavily planted and your filter in the pic looks really clean, i would say that you arnt cycled with those readings

welcome to fishlore, its a great site with some great people and very helpful

Last edited:

mrober20

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi

My take is fully cycled. Nitrate level is 5. The hospital tanks filter is full of filter media from my main filter on my 20 gallon so should therefore be cycled. I will test the hospital tank tonight.

Thanks for your post

mrober20

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Still trying to work out what is on the side of my cardinal tetra. on the advice of my local aquarium shop I treated it with tri-sulfa tablets which seems to have fixed the red lump on it's head but the tetra still has a white patch with what looks to be some kind of white worm. I found a picture online that looks exactly like it but still unsure what it is.

sick_cardinal.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom