Help with sick betta

Chalkpie

Hello,

I need help diagnosing a very old betta. I am writing on behalf of my sister-in-law, so I don’t have all the information about her setup, water parameters, etc.

Here’s what I know: she got a new aquarium for her 6yo betta a little over two weeks ago. it’s an equivalent size (1g) tank, unfiltered, with only one plastic plant as decor.. (yeah, i know that’s all pretty bad, but the fish did make it to 6yo and did seem vigorous and healthy every time I saw him..). She does full water changes at least once a week (I already suggested that she ups the schedule..)

Two weeks ago (just a few days after being transfered to his new aquarium), he became lethargic, needed alot of encouragement to come get his food, and what looks like a parasite to me appeared on top of his head (see pictures).

If it was my fish, I’d try 20 minute salt baths (2g/liter) daily, 50% water changes daily, and one or two strong methylene blue dip(s).

Would those be good suggestions? Can someone diagnose the affliction with the pictures? Is it even worth it putting the fish through all that since he’s already so old?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post, and for any comments and insights!

Attachments

jkkgron2

Well Known
I hate to say it but If it’s a 6 year old betta then he may just be reaching the end of his life.. You could try adding Indian almond leaves in case he had an infection.

OP
Chalkpie

Chalkpie

jkkgron2 said:
I hate to say it but If it’s a 6 year old betta then he may just be reaching the end of his life.. You could try adding Indian almond leaves in case he had an infection.
thanks for the suggestion- I will certainly pass it along!

New Threads