Help With Sexing Boesemani

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by Grod1025, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Grod1025New MemberMember

IMG_2176.PNGIMG_2167.JPG Hello,
    I got 3 of these boesmani at petco a couple of days ago. One is larger and brighter than the other 2. I'm a novice when it comes to rainbows, but it seems to me that the first one is a male and the other is a female. Am I right?

Thanks

2. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

I only see two males and the dominate male will always color more than the others. Females have very little coloring, but males have a distinct ridge that gives then a forehead and females are smooth transition from head to back.

3. Grod1025New MemberMember

Thanks for the info...it looks like I may have gotten 3 males and no females then (the 3rd one is identical to the second pic). :(

4. kmorseValued MemberMember

I'm late to the party, but maybe you will still see this. I tried to have the whole at least 2 females to 1 male thing with my boesemanis, and my dominant male killed off all of his females one by one. I ended up going with an all male tank, and I haven't looked back. So if you still have these 3 boys and no females, you may want to at least consider sticking with it.

5. Grod1025New MemberMember

Thank you for replying...unfortunately the dominant male decided to harass one of the others to death. He died within 24 hours of the start of the chasing. The dominant male is now happily living with one other. I'm still not convinced of that one is male or female. But everything is very, very peaceful-at least for now...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice