Help With Setting Up Planted 33 Gallon Long.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by OkSoda94, Apr 13, 2017.

1. OkSoda94

OkSoda94 New Member Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to set up a 33 gallon long planted tank for my family. I've spent the last few weeks researching everything and the amount of information has been somewhat overwhelming. I'm also having a bit of a tough time with the specifics for getting the 33 long started, mostly regarding lighting.

I bought an eHeim 2217 for the tank. I would like to have the lights on 12 hours a day, ideally. Heavily planted although I haven't decided on what plants.

I'm looking for advice/recommendations on lighting and substrate. Brands/models, just whatever you yourself would use if you were setting up this specific sized tank for your family.

Thank you so much.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I run Current USA LED lights, I have the PLUS and the PLUS PRO, the PRO will serve your plants better, but if you plan on low tech plants even the PLUS will do you just fine (especially since you are running a long tank, not as deep :)) Stay away from their lowest tier model however, I had it and didnt like it, even for fish only it was dim IMO. Their middle and top tier ones are great though :)

3. OP
    OP
    OkSoda94

Thank you for the reply. That light was one of the ones I have been looking at, actually. Is that something I could leave on for 12 hours without issue? I'm assuming pressurized co2 is a must?

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Injecting co2 depends on your plants. All plants benefit from it, but a lot don't need it. Same with the lighting.
    If you were to do carpeting plants- glosso, dbt, etc then yes co2 becomes a must. Also higher light then the satellite fixture can provide. Many plants thrive in a low tech set up (no co2, or excel dosed)
    I have a few different leds,
    beamswork -don't like it, not enough light for me but a lot one here have it and love it
    Finnex stingray -great light at a lower price point, does amazing as a stand alone on lower tech tanks. I have these on my 20long and ten gallon as a stand alone, and also as a second light on my wider tanks (40b and 75)
    Finnex 24/7 -great light, esp when creeping up to medium lighting (lower end of Med) but perfect for lower light as well. Higher price point then the rest. I have them as my main light on my 40b and 75. I don't have the new SE model, but from what I have read I would go with the se (spectrum improved, darkness, ability to tilt) if I could.
    Chihiros series a - just started with some of these, and I am in love. You can find them on eBay. They have the ability to adjust the strength of the light, so can be used on low lighting or for high lighting (carpeting, injected co2). I have it on another 20l, a few 10s, and also my 38bowfront. The bowfront lighting was a challenge for me as it's heavily planted and 24 inches high, but the chihiros lights it beautifully. Prior to that I was using two stingrays.

The biggest thing with planted tanks is achieving a balance between your plants, your ferts, your lighting, and co2. If any of these are off it gives the edge to algae.
    I have a tank that get minimal ferts (seachem flourish once or twice a week) and no excel (co2 replacement), finnex stingray light that has wisteria, Java fern, marimo balls, Java moss. Most of my tanks though get Ei based ferts and excel dosing, making my way slowly into co2 injection.
    (Excuse the mess, they are super overgrown, also the top picture was taken late at night so sorry it's so dark)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Neither of these tanks have pressurized co2, only excel daily dosing

My advice before settling on a light or co2 is to look into the plants you want and we can guide you from there :)

5. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Those are some awesome looking setups @Jocelyn Adelman !
    I just wanted to answer the first part of OPs question as I know nothing of dosing CO2 :) Yes, the light will have zero issues being left on that long, LEDs are a more expensive light to start, but they run cooler, less wattage, last longer, etc. I have heard you need to replace florescent bulbs periodically even though they are still working because they 'fade' (at least for corals, not sure about plants) - but as far as I know you do not have this issue with LED.

The PLUS PRO does get pretty warm on top of it, just FYI, I have the 24" model of that and a 48" model of the PLUS and the PLUS PRO gets warm to the touch (not burning, not even close) but each LED in that sucker is 1.3 watts!! :p

6. OP
    OP
    OkSoda94

Thank you for the reply. Ideally, I really do not want to have to use co2. So I'm looking at low to moderate light plants.

7. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

FINNEX all the way! The planted + fugeray would be prefect for that tank also the 24 hour fixture could also work

For high light go with the ray2

8. OP
    OP
    OkSoda94

Thank you for the Finnex 24/7 SE suggestion. I hadn't considered that prior to your reply and I ended up going with that one. A month in and I absolutely LOVE it!!

9. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

For substrate, I've had good experiences with Eco Complete Planted Tank Substrate! Great for plants, and I love the dark brown/black color (plus no rinsing!) For my new tank, I'm using pool filter sand. I'm a fan so far, but I haven't tried planting in it yet.

10. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Any new pictures???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice