help with setting up new 38 Gallon tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gef21, Mar 21, 2010.

1. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

ok so today I am going to go out and get what I need to set up my new tank.

I currently have an aqueon filter on my 10 gallon tank. I am going to get another Aqueon filter (unless someone tells me something awful about them) that will support my new size tank.
    -Should I attach my old filter also to the new tank to help the tank cycle?
    or do i need TSS to help get that going?

I am very interested in putting live plants into this tank.
    -Any suggestions for plants?
    I was thinking anbuis, java fern and amazon sword.

I know I am going to need around 120 watts of light if I plan on growing plants in my 38 gallon tank.

Should I trasnfer over my old substrate into the new tank get entirely new substrate?

My last question is about heaters.
    -edit I forgot I have a 200 watt heater I can use.
    Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. d

djorna Valued Member Member

I don't think it would hurt to use your old saturate as long as you never had probs in your old tank it might help the cycling process. its up to you good luck.

3. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

You could use some substrate from the old to help get things going, but don't take too much out, or it's possible that you could create a mini cycle in your old tank. Likewise for the filter, I would leave it in the old tank for the inhabitants there, you could perhaps put the new media in the old tank (rinse it with tank water first) and leave it there for 2 weeks to help seed it with some bacteria before you set up your bigger tank. Was you plan to move everyone to the larger tank? How long has your old tank been established for?
    I don't have live plants in my tank, so hopefully someone else can answer your plant inquiries.

4. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Hi gef21.I would personally go with the ac 70.You have much more options with choosing and mixing media.I had an aqueon and there is not to much room for other media.I would run both filters at once to speed up the cycle.Live plants in my opinion are much nicer looking and bring a much better natural enviornment for your fish.Of course you have to have the proper lighting set up.Petco is having a clearance on ther t5 ho fixtures,check it out.If you go with live plants pick up some seachem flourish products.The plants you mentioned are the same ones i have in my tank and they are doing great.Live plants ALSO HELP WITH YOUR CYCLE.

5. m

mosin360 Well Known Member Member

While I like my Aqueon's water flow, the amount of media it can hold is small compared to my Aquaclear (AC) 50. I use the Aqueon on a 29g and the AC50 on a 38g.

6. 1

1hawaii50 Valued Member Member

I'm running an AC110 on my 38 gallon, and I love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice