Help With Sand Substrate

1. Djay.racer

Djay.racer Valued Member Member

Hello fellow fish and aqua lovers, I'm currently at a crossroads, I really hate these fake decorations and want to go real. Thing is I need hardy plants that can grow good or at least decent in sand. I know that cryps and anubias are spoken off in sand I'm also planning on wrapping driftwood in have moss and Java fern, but as far as in the sand is there any options that don't involve pulling back the sand for true plant substrate. Any help will be taken into consideration. Thank you.

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

3. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

! Agree 100%!

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Your lighting and ferts make a bigger difference then your substrate if you are not a high tech tank... even then sand could work just fine!

5. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

So it is basically exactly like planting a garden just underwater. You have to use the right stuff for good results that makes sense.

6. a

ahmad.echols Valued Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

Do you guys recommend leaving them in the pots or planting them in bunches directly?

8. AngelTheGypsy

Plant them directly, take them out of the pots. Also remove as much of the wool stuff as possible.

9. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

10. AngelTheGypsy

I've not had spikes using API root tabs, but for root feeders like swords and crypts, root tabs are a necessity. All the liquid ferts you add won't get to the roots. The tabs will also help stem plants once they start growing roots as well.

11. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

Are the flourish tabs as good as the API tabs in your opinion?

12. N

NightShade Well Known Member Member

Yes, I use flourish tabs, & my plants are growing great.. even while I was letting it sit before cycling, then during, & now with a smallish (soon to grow) bioload... which I think if it stayed this way, I would absolutely have to add in nitrate, prob might still need to add phosphorus, & potassium.. but I've got mine fairly well planted (50%)

Forgot to add.. I use Tahitian moon sand (Caribsea - no nutrients whatsoever)

13. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

I'm using pool sand but I'm also using mostly hardy low light plants that should flourish with the addition of any fertilizer. Mostly because I have 13 cory, 13 black skirt tetras, 13 bloodfin tetra, 2 German blue Rams, a bristlenose pleco, and 16 ghost shrimp. So I have alot off cleaning to do weekly. I know plants will flourish off the waste alone but I'm guessing the fertilizers will just make it that much better?

14. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I use flourish tabs in sand with added liquid but I'm heavily planted with a tiny bioload at the moment 4 adult guppies about 30fry 3. Snails and a dozen RCS in a 55gal
    7e2b14fcf5c2bdd5d53103cccac96fcf.jpg

15. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

I want rapid good growth so I'm going to do flourish tabs, flourish, and Excel and stick with my normal seachem products. Thank you all for the advice.

16. Littlebudda

Like I said I use flourish tabs and fluval plant grow liquid and this is my growth

25/6/17
    1abeba96029dbdd8a900db3d5e340bf0.jpg

This was 30/7/17

1804135d0a56a515c4646886141f31a7.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

WOW that stuff really works! I can't wait to get mine planted up now! Only 2 more days and I'll be ready to plant! Thanks again for all the advice. I hope I got a good batch of plants. Me and my wife love gardening so this is going to be very fun for us. I'm going to toss in a couple of these floating moss balls and a couple of these banana looking plants.

18. Littlebudda

Do you mean banana Lilly? What size tank?

19. OP
    OP
    Djay.racer

Well I have a couple tanks but yes the banana Lily. My wife's been wanting them forever I told her one per tank cuz they grow to 6 inches or something but yea. The one they're going in first will be the 55 gallon

20. Littlebudda

Cool just one per tank once you plant them they will send up a Lilly every couple of days I try to keep mine on the right side of the tank so I still get light in on the left, they put up a lot of pads and will cover the whole surface if you plant more than one. Make great plants for fry to hide around and my baby RCS love climbing up the stalks to hang out