Help With Rimless Tank Build!

Collin Chorba

Member
HI all, in the future I plan on building a rimless and braceless glass aquarium and need help figuring out how large I can make it without it bowing, I would like the dimensions to be somewhere in the range of 12 inches tall, 12 inches deep, and as long as possible without needing a brace, I am also on a budget and would like the glass to be as thin as possible. Would it be better to just buy a 20 gallon long and remove the rims?
Btw this build is for shell dwellers.
 

david1978

Member
A 20 long from the dollar per gallon sale would be the way to go. You can't build a tank a tank for $20.
 
  • Thread Starter

Collin Chorba

Member
david1978 said:
A 20 long from the dollar per gallon sale would be the way to go. You can't build a tank a tank for $20.
Thank you, the only way I wouldn’t do this is if I wanted a lot larger of a tank which is kinda the case, which is why I’m trying to figure out size,
 
  • Thread Starter

Collin Chorba

Member
Do
david1978 said:
A 20 long from the dollar per gallon sale would be the way to go. You can't build a tank a tank for $20.
can you post a pic of your betta community, I would love to see that, I almost made my 60 gallon black water into a betta community but decided not to because I didn’t want to buy all the fish at once which is what I was told I would have to do for it to work.
 

david1978

Member
There are some older ones on my media profile page. I didnt buy them all at once either. I started with 3 babies it was too much aggression so I added 2 more then I added 2 more and have been adding and subtracting ever since.
You can't go much beyond a 20 long before yo need to cross brace and use corner gusets to keep tank integrity.
 
  • Thread Starter

Collin Chorba

Member
david1978 said:
There are some older ones on my media profile page. I didnt buy them all at once either. I started with 3 babies it was too much aggression so I added 2 more then I added 2 more and have been adding and subtracting ever since.
Awesome I’ll check that out
 

-Mak-

Member
The King of DIY on youtube has videos on making large rimless tanks out of acrylic. It's really hard to make a high quality rimless tank cheaply, if aesthetics is what you're going for.
 
  • Thread Starter

Collin Chorba

Member
-Mak- said:
The King of DIY on youtube has videos on making large rimless tanks out of acrylic. It's really hard to make a high quality rimless tank cheaply, if aesthetics is what you're going for.
Ok thanks, I’m probably just gonna go with a 20L and remove the rims
 

Crazycoryfishlady

Member
For future reference, you can "remove" the need for braces by simply making your depth lesser.
A 12 long is longer than a 20 long by 5 inches, no brance needed, low profile acrylic seal, no rims.
Of course, it's 90 from aqua top, but much cheaper to make one, and easier to fit in smaller places.
It's 35 long, 10 high 8 deep.
You could probably get away with that but even 40 long, or deeper and higher if you want. Glass is almost half a cm thick, 4mm.
It's very rewarding doing custom tanks, and if doing a show tank, very fun to see the perfect result you want.
 
  • Thread Starter

Collin Chorba

Member
Crazycoryfishlady said:
For future reference, you can "remove" the need for braces by simply making your depth lesser.
A 12 long is longer than a 20 long by 5 inches, no brance needed, low profile acrylic seal, no rims.
Of course, it's 90 from aqua top, but much cheaper to make one, and easier to fit in smaller places.
It's 35 long, 10 high 8 deep.
You could probably get away with that but even 40 long, or deeper and higher if you want. Glass is almost half a cm thick, 4mm.
It's very rewarding doing custom tanks, and if doing a show tank, very fun to see the perfect result you want.
Do you think I should build a tank instead, maybe something like 40long 12 high and 12deep and also what thickness of glass?
 
  • Thread Starter

Collin Chorba

Member
Collin Chorba said:
Do you think I should build a tank instead, maybe something like 50 long 12 high and 8 deep
Actually 40 long
 

DarkOne

Member
I picked up a rimless 30 gallon long yesterday. it's 35" x 15" x 13" (tall). The glass is 8mm thick.
 
  • Thread Starter

Collin Chorba

Member
DarkOne said:
I picked up a rimless 30 gallon long yesterday. it's 35" x 15" x 13" (tall). The glass is 8mm thick.
Thank you
 
Top Bottom