Help With Rescued Goldfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RiverMonsterFan01, Jun 1, 2019.

1. RiverMonsterFan01

RiverMonsterFan01New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    499FAF91-23FB-4FED-941C-E03855EDC08F.545A5C3B-3BA8-42DF-B532-D7151B589CF7.97AA0853-ACE3-4206-BF50-86DEB8403B67. I have just returned home from rehoming my friend’s two fish; a Black Moor and an Oranda. Both are about 4-5cm. My friend was keeping them in a bowl with no filter and never cleaned them. I am putting them in my emergency 5gal quarantine tank. I’m using my backup filter from another cycled tank and have treated the water with water conditioner. Should I use a heater with them? Anything else I should know? Thank you

2. Addie42

Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,363
    What’s their home tank situation looking like? I wouldn’t keep them in a 5 gallon qt, I would try to get a kiddie pool/ large food safe container for them if possible
    They don’t need a heater

3. OP
    OP
    RiverMonsterFan01

Ratings:
    +0
    Well when I say bowl, it was more like a round bowl for air plants. She has 2 dogs and a cat that apparently drink from it (pet hair floating in the water and stuck to the sides) and a small child that plays with the water. The qt tank is only until I can move my almost healed Shubunkin back into the pond which frees up the 40gal, which I will be putting the two new fish in

4. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +543
    Experience:
    2 years
    Even though the tank is cycled, I would still do many water changes and always keep an eye on parameters. As you probably know, goldies like a varied diet. I feed mine veggies, algae wafers, and pellets. You don't have to keep a heater with them. As for prepping the 40 there are some substrate considerations with goldfish. I dislike gravel for them because they sift through the substrate and mine has choked once or twice. Also, I hate cleaning gravel. What I have now is bare bottom tanks with pots filled with sand. The sand is small enough so that if they do eat it, it passes through. Bare bottom is easy to clean and I have the sand so they can sift through it if they so chose.

If you have a rubbermaid bin, you can keep them in that if it's clean.

5. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,471
    Experience:
    2 years
    don't need a heater.

homedepot has a 27 gallon container for around $8.

6. lilirose

liliroseValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +204
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Goldfish don't need a heater.

I must say that considering how they were treated, they look pretty healthy. They don't look like they have ammonia burns, which is somewhat of a miracle if their bowl was never cleaned. They need a lot more space though- 5 gallons won't work for more than a very short time with very frequent (daily) water changes. They'd be happiest in a 50 gallon or above. You probably already know that goldfish have an especially high bio-load, meaning they produce a lot of ammonia which is why they need so much space with frequent water changes.

I'd get a large Rubbermaid container as other have suggested rather than house them in 5 gallons for any length of time.

7. OP
    OP
    RiverMonsterFan01

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately at 9pm the Oranda started struggling with swim bladder. I isolated it and began treating it but as time went on the fish seemed to get worse and was unable to eat. Unable to see it continue to suffer I euthanised the Oranda. The Black Moor seems healthy but will be keeping an extremely close eye on it. Any tips?

8. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +543
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'm so sorry to hear that :( I would try to upgrade the current QT space and make sure to feed a nice balanced diet that's more than just processed pellet food.

9. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,471
    Experience:
    2 years
    probably daily 50% water changes for the new couple days. keep an eye on parameters.