Hello all! I was at Petsmart earlier today buying a new siphon/gravel vac for my 10g tank, and a few new plants when I ran across what I genuinely thought was a dead betta. He was SUPPOSED to be a Half Moon Dumbo and he ... sort of looks like ... I don't even know. He looks absolutely awful, clearly suffering from amazingly severe fin rot and ammonia poisoning. I picked up the cup he was in and was VERY surprised when he FREAKED out and swam in very odd ... spiralling motions, kind of like a football, before slipping to the bottom of the cup and going still. Well, that was that. I brought it to the attention of the "fish guy" (who SWORE he did a water change not three hours ago and that things were fine and blah blah) and got them to let me take him home for a couple of dollars (they sold him to me so I'd have a receipt if I wanted to bring him back -- I didn't argue. He was originally $16, and I got him for $3). I brought him home, and tested the water with a liquid test kit. It IMMEDIATELY read over 4.0, and when the test completed, was hovering someplace closer to 8. I'm shocked he was even alive. I'm not gonna lie -- I didn't really bother with properly cycling a tank or anything. I snagged a little 3g I had laying around and tossed in some gravel and a couple of live plants, filled it with roughly 80 degree water, some Seachem Prime and a bit of bacteria liquid, added a bit of aquarium salt, made sure the parameters and PH were good, stuck in a heater and a filter, and just got this poor betta the out of that AWFUL water. He IMMEDIATELY started to breathe with deep, smooth gill movement in the new water. He just sort of ... laid on the bottom of the tank, though -- struggled to get to the surface and I contemplated just ending it humanely, but he made it to the top of the tank and got a good gasp of air and finally started to float. He sank again and landed on the betta hammock I left in there for him, where he stayed for a while. SO. Now I have this ... really, REALLY sick fish. I'm still not sure if he's going to make it, but any advice would be welcome. He seems to have VERY inflamed gills, his fins are just /destroyed/, he can't really do much other than just float, and I'm ... still kind of not sure if I should just end it humanely for him or if he has a shot at recovery. I'll try to get a good shot of his gills and his fins and upload them here. In the meantime -- any advice on what to do with the gill inflammation and how to help with ammonia poisoning would be REALLY very welcome.