Help With Pregnant Molly

1. A

Ash T. New Member Member

Recently I just started my new community aquarium. I've had individual fish before, such as bettas and goldfish, but this is my first time caring for a community tank.

Currently, I have a ten gallon tank and a twenty gallon tank waiting to be set up. The ten gallon tank has two goldfish, one tetra, and one molly. The tetra and molly are currently only temporarily with the goldfish because I don't have a tank for them.

My molly is pregnant, and the father just recently died. It's a dalmatian molly, and it doesn't look like it's going to drop soon, but the time is definitely in the near future.

If someone could please help me with taking care of the molly, that would be amazing. My cousin (who lives with us) has bred mollies before, but most of the babies were eaten by other fish. We plan to hopefully keep as many as possible alive.

What I need to know:
    -Should I move my molly to the twenty gallon tank, or move the goldfish to the twenty gallon tank?
    -Will the tetra eat the baby mollies?
    -Will my molly eat her young? (I've seen some yes and no's)
    -What do I need to buy to make sure the baby mollies are happy and healthy?
    -Should I get another adult male molly? (My molly seems very distraught, and has been swimming around the filter (where he died) or swimming around the plant and corner he used to hang out in)
    -If there is absolutely any other useful information that I need to know, PLEASE let me know! I love fish, and I want to make sure I'm taking good care of them.

(If necessary, the molly's name is Salty.)

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Please buy a 40 gallon for the Goldfish and move the Molly and the Tetra to the 20 gallon and get at least another 5 Tetras.

3. a

aneesomar New Member Member

moving the pregnant mother is the best move although risky (THE MOTHER MAY DIE OF STRESS BUT VERY RARE) the mother does not eat her babies most of the time and i suggest
    1) move the Molly to a different tank
    2)keep an eye on the babies
    3)and when the babies are out to keep them for a little bit in the tank before moving them into your main tank
    but just let the natural process happen

4. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

Thank you so much! Should I move my molly to the twenty gallon tank, or keep it in the ten gallon tank and instead move the other fish to the bigger tank?

5. goplecos

Rehome the goldfish please. Put the Molly and the Tetras in the 20.

6. Fish4Ever

Fish4Ever Valued Member Member

Gold fish realy need more space.... sorry but it is the truth...
    Also you need more tetras (at least three, six is better though.)

7. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

I've done some research and I agree that I need a bigger tank. Trying my best to earn money while tanks are still on sale, but I'm only fourteen. I am turning fifteen soon, though, so I'm going to ask for a bigger tank for my birthday. What size would you suggest?

I am also going to the store today to get more tetras :)

8. goplecos

I would get a 40 gallon for a Fancy Goldfish. Then you could move the Mollies and Tetras over to the 2o. Also get Hornwort and Java moss for the babies.