Help with pre-filter please.

EgorAnonymous

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the process of buying equipment for a future 55 gallon freshwater tank. I really like the idea of a pre-filter for a canister filter but am not having much luck. I would prefer a canister type to sit in the cabinet beside the canister filter but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Any advice? What has your experience been? Where can I find? Are they complicated? Thank you.

Best Answer - View AO1's answer

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You aren't talking about a sump are you? I don't think so. Anyway, the only pre-filter is a sponge on the intake to keep larger debris out of the cannister.

If you have a pic of what you mean, could you post it?

OP
EgorAnonymous

EgorAnonymous

Reaction score
Fisheye said:
You aren't talking about a sump are you? I don't think so. Anyway, the only pre-filter is a sponge on the intake to keep larger debris out of the cannister.

If you have a pic of what you mean, could you post it?
Hi Fisheye, I only saw it on The Pond Guru's channel. It's basically a small canister filter that sucks the dirty water through three filters (coarse, medium and fine) to remove all the sediments. That leaves free one of the trays in the larger canister filter for more bio media. I like the idea of that, but can't seem to find it. It may not even be called a pre-filter. It also is supposed to be easier to clean one a month so you don't have to break down the larger one. It looked about the size of a can of coffee. Thanks

AO1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If i'm not mistaken, the OP is taking about a canister to canister connection.
the first canister will only be floss/sponge to filter the particles, and the 2nd filter will be all bio.
IMO, its unnecessarily. Just get a bigger canister that has extra baskets.

OP
EgorAnonymous

EgorAnonymous

Reaction score
Fisheye said:
if it's not the diy shower/trickle filter, would you be able to supply link or title of video?
Hi Fisheye,
I'll attach the link so you can watch the video. But, AO1 is correct. It is just a small cannister filter connected to a larger filter. It is at the 12:40 mark. Thank you for the help!

OP
EgorAnonymous

EgorAnonymous

Reaction score
AO1 said:
If i'm not mistaken, the OP is taking about a canister to canister connection.
the first canister will only be floss/sponge to filter the particles, and the 2nd filter will be all bio.
IMO, its unnecessarily. Just get a bigger canister that has extra baskets.
You are correct. I didn't even think of a second cannister filter. Thanks.

AO1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMO, you will do fine with a larger single canister and use a sponge pre-filter.
instead of a filter rated for 55 gallon tank, go up 2x or 3x.

New Threads