Help with potentially sick betta please

Ilovefish1119

HI my betta fish had developed a white patch on his fin. After doing some research I wasn’t able to find something that I could attribute it too and since it didn’t effect his hunger lever or behaviour I thought it was fine? But now his fins are starting to fray and I’m getting quite worried. If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated. I don’t think it’s ick because he doesn’t have spots. Although there does seem to be grey/white appearing under his chin now which is sort of noticeable in the photo

Attachments

• 57BAC9B8-3F6D-4252-822D-98B7E0402C8B.jpeg
    57BAC9B8-3F6D-4252-822D-98B7E0402C8B.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 55

Ilovefish1119

Thank you so much!! I will look into those and get him treated. Do you think there would be any effect on him if I gave him the medication just to be safe and there wasn’t actually anything wrong? That’s what has held me back from treating him sooner I don’t want to harm him with something he might not need but I also don’t want to keep waiting and have things get worse for him

david1978

coralbandit adds potasium pomegranate at water changes on some of his fish and I dose peroxide for even simple annoyances like algae. Dosed correctly neither will effect your fish negatively.

coralbandit

How often do you change water ?
Long finned bettas are subject to many issue with and because of their fins ..
Iwould be doing water changes as often as possible . That is how I keep all my fish though ?

Ilovefish1119

coralbandit adds potasium pomegranate at water changes on some of his fish and I dose peroxide for even simple annoyances like algae. Dosed correctly neither will effect your fish negatively.
Okay thank you so much I will try those!

How often do you change water ?
Long finned bettas are subject to many issue with and because of their fins ..
Iwould be doing water changes as often as possible . That is how I keep all my fish though ?
He was in a filtered 10 gallon that I did a water change of about 25 percent every week. But the filter seemed too heavy for him and he tried to eat my snails in there so recently I switched him to an unfiltered 3 gal that I change and clean fully once per week. I also use a dechlorinator and a bacteria startup to prevent the new tank syndrome

david1978

A full water change and clean weekly isn't ideal. Your removing both good and bad bacteria when you do that. Running fingerless can be done but you should be doing 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days. Have you been testing your ammonia levels in this tank?

Ilovefish1119

Okay I will start doing 50% water changes frequently! and no I havent

david1978

I would start with the water changes and give him a week or 2 and see what happens.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
Caffee
Replies
Views
Chris92xx
Replies
Views