Help with possible fungal infection

Bettanewb78

I've posted about this before but I didn't use the emergency template and also didn't realize my son had turned off my notifications. Hopefully someone can help my betta, the whole family has been sick for a couple weeks and my little guy has been stable in his hospital tank but not getting better.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? Normally a 10gal, been in 5 gal hosp tank for 3.5 weeks.
How long has the tank been running? 10 g over a year, hospital tank has established sponge filter.
Does it have a filter? Yes, both
Does it have a heater? Yes, both
What is the water temperature? 10g 79°, hosp is 77-78°
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 10g betta, nerite, 4 amano. Hosp just betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 10g was every 2 weeks/hosp daily to every other
How much of the water do you change? 10g 20%, hosp 40-80% (just started salt treatment so doing 80%)
What do you use to treat your water? Prime and Pristine or Stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Usually just water, occasionally gravel vac

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Used established media
What do you use to test the water? Api master test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ish
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 6 days week
How much do you feed your fish? 5 or 6 betta gold, sometimes freeze dried bloodworms and frozen daphnia
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari & Fluval
Do you feed frozen? Sometimes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Sometimes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 6+ mos.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms. Had a couple white scales, I thought was old injury but then started to get bigger and look fuzzy. He's also had a pretty ratty looking tail since I got him, tried treating for fin rot a few times but no change.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Started in hosp tank treating with api em erythromycin and ich x for 8 days total (according to erythromycin package) then tried paraguard for about 2 weeks, now on salt for 2 days so far.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not sure, he was my 1st fish
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Tail looks rattier, spot perhaps looks worse.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
My poor guy has been with me for just over 2 years, 1st fish and I learned so much. I know I made mistakes but have tried to learn each time. From advice I've been told his tail could just be genetic and I think he might fin nip sometimes too but I haven't seen it. The white on his side had been there over a year and I thought it was a couple of scales that got damaged and grew back white, they looked normal just off color. A few months ago they started looking suspicious and now it looks bad, he's clearly stressed and a bit lethargic starting about a week before going in hosp tank. It's down in a spare bathroom and usually dark (indirect natural light from window) and quiet. I've attached some current photos.

Attachments

• 20220124_200127.jpg
    20220124_200127.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220124_200149.jpg
    20220124_200149.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4

OutsideFoodBlob

Poor guy, sounds like you’re doing and have done everything you can for him. I would keep with the salt and ease up on water changes if the water parameters stay optimal as they are now (every other day or every three days just to minimize stress while trying to heal).
There is a possibility that since he is older (for a betta) some of what your are seeing is age related.
Regardless, give the salt time it’s not a quick fix treatment but many people have success with frequent water changes and salt.

Bettanewb78

Poor guy, sounds like you’re doing and have done everything you can for him. I would keep with the salt and ease up on water changes if the water parameters stay optimal as they are now (every other day or every three days just to minimize stress while trying to heal).
There is a possibility that since he is older (for a betta) some of what your are seeing is age related.
Regardless, give the salt time it’s not a quick fix treatment but many people have success with frequent water changes and salt.
Thank you for your supportive words. I had read that with the salt I should do 1 tsp per gallon and then do an 80% water change daily and add back in the salt. I've been doing 5tsp salt, change out 4 gallons and add back 4tsp salt. Should I do this every other day? Poor thing is stressed, he was always a pretty lazy fish but he just sits under the sponge filter, under his catapa leaf or in the silk plant I stuck in the hospital tank. I feel so bad that I let him get like this.

I will carry on with the salt. I probably should have started with that but he had a cory friend in with him for a bit that also looked like it had a fuzzy wound on it. I think the cory looks better now, still has a light patch where the spot was but it no longer look s fuzzy. They were in separate tanks and no one else has anything going on so I don't know the cause.

OutsideFoodBlob

I’d let the salt the work more than the water changes. Unless you have a way for the water to be removed slowly and returned slowly that’s a lot of stress for a little fish. The salt will inhibit the osmotic processes of unwanted bacteria and such free floating in the water column.
80% is a bit high, you’d be better off and less stress for you fish if you did 20 to 25% daily or 50% every other day. So change out 1 gallon a day and add back in a tsp.
It’s more manageable. You could even premix the gallon with the salt in a one gallon bottle or pitcher, etc.
The other sort of see if this helps thing I would suggest is if you have a Brita or other type of carbon filter water jug is to run your tap water through that. My betta (now since passed) kept having fin curling and fin rot like symptoms. When I cut my tap water with filtered he faired much better. It’s the whole gh/kh/tds business. But I just considered it poor woman’s RO.
If he is looking worse with the frequent water changes this is a quick and inexpensive see if it helps.

Best of luck!

Bettanewb78

I have never heard of using a Brita, and I do have an old one! I'll follow your advice in the wc too. Thank you so much!

OutsideFoodBlob

I have never heard of using a Brita, and I do have an old one! I'll follow your advice in the wc too. Thank you so much!
I’m not one of the betta experts, just trying to help though. You could do a 50/50 mix. I figured out after, my guy seemed to be getting worse not better, was that my tap water was ph neutral straight out of the tap but within 24 hrs was close to 8. So my deep water changes were yo-yoing the ph which was stressful. That’s why I started cutting the water with Brita filtered water, we had an unused one I just picked up some fresh filters and left it on the counter.

Plus some bettas are just more sensitive to some of the dissolved minerals/solids in water. Genetics.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kinsey12345
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
kamikaze532
Replies
Views