Help with Pleco

AClassyGuyy

I’ve had a high finned pleco for over a year and he’s in my 45gal aquascapped aquarium, in the past I’ve had him in a 10gal with an ADF, Betta, 8 tetras (mix between cardinal and black neon), golden algae eater, and a golden mystery snail that eventually hatched 200+ baby’s. I sold all my fish but my Pleco and ADF and transferred my Pleco to my friends house where he had a 20gal. I did this because the Pleco was obviously small for the 10gal so I moved him to get the 45gal all set up. I put my Pleco and ADF and as well as 1 otocat and an assassin snail I had into the 45gal in January and everything has been fine, I’ve put in 6 neon tetras and 3 amino algae shrimp but 3 days ago I noticed some fin rot on my Pleco and the next day I put in my friends fish because he’s rescapping his 20gal and the fish I put in where 4 cherry barbs, 3 otocats, 4 Molly’s, and 2 goramies. My Pleco has been completely fine, he would hide under a large piece of drift wood that surrounded in all sorts of live plants, he’s munch on the wood occasionally, and at night he’d be highly active. I didn’t have a lid because I’ve never experienced or thought my Pleco or ADF would jump out but yesterday morning I woke up to my Pleco 4 feet down on my floor from the top of my tank and I put on a plastic lid right after. Today he’s stayed on the front glass with marks of red spots, his fin rot has gotten much worse and there’s a white coating on his tail fin as if he was shedding, he’s also breathing really fast. My general hardness is 0, Carbon hardness 40, PH 6.5, NO2 0.5, NO3 20. All other species are perfectly fine especially the neons getting along well with the cherry barbs. He hides under the drift wood on the right side in the aquarium and the cave in the middle was redesigned yesterday after he jumped for him to have plenty of room to go into as the previous design was too small for him. Please let me know on what’s going on
You must be registered to see images

CaptainAquatics

I’ve had a high finned pleco for over a year and he’s in my 45gal aquascapped aquarium, in the past I’ve had him in a 10gal with an ADF, Betta, 8 tetras (mix between cardinal and black neon), golden algae eater, and a golden mystery snail that eventually hatched 200+ baby’s. I sold all my fish but my Pleco and ADF and transferred my Pleco to my friends house where he had a 20gal. I did this because the Pleco was obviously small for the 10gal so I moved him to get the 45gal all set up. I put my Pleco and ADF and as well as 1 otocat and an assassin snail I had into the 45gal in January and everything has been fine, I’ve put in 6 neon tetras and 3 amino algae shrimp but 3 days ago I noticed some fin rot on my Pleco and the next day I put in my friends fish because he’s rescapping his 20gal and the fish I put in where 4 cherry barbs, 3 otocats, 4 Molly’s, and 2 goramies. My Pleco has been completely fine, he would hide under a large piece of drift wood that surrounded in all sorts of live plants, he’s munch on the wood occasionally, and at night he’d be highly active. I didn’t have a lid because I’ve never experienced or thought my Pleco or ADF would jump out but yesterday morning I woke up to my Pleco 4 feet down on my floor from the top of my tank and I put on a plastic lid right after. Today he’s stayed on the front glass with marks of red spots, his fin rot has gotten much worse and there’s a white coating on his tail fin as if he was shedding, he’s also breathing really fast. My general hardness is 0, Carbon hardness 40, PH 6.5, NO2 0.5, NO3 20. All other species are perfectly fine especially the neons getting along well with the cherry barbs. He hides under the drift wood on the right side in the aquarium and the cave in the middle was redesigned yesterday after he jumped for him to have plenty of room to go into as the previous design was too small for him. Please let me know on what’s going on

Hi! So please do not take any of this as me trying to be rude or offensive, I just want to help.

There are a few things I would like to point out:
1. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? You must know about the nitrogen cycle to keep fish successfully. With your Nitrite (No2) being .5 I assume no as that is dangerously high for a aquarium. Also you need to test your ammonia because I would guess you have some in your tank.
2. Your pleco can get over a foot along assuming it is the common sail-fin pleco, so being in that tank so long he is likely stunted and needs to be upgraded to AT LEAST a 75 gallon for now, but really needs a 100+ gallon tank when they get older. Being stunted will likely shorten his lifespan dramatically, please consider getting a larger tank or finding a friend who does.
3. A question, how many water changes do you do? With that kind of bioload you need to be doing at least 50% a week, if not more.
4. Some good news, your pleco looks well fed, good job on that and keep it up!

As for the plecos injuries maybe treat with some general cure. He probably scrapped himself jumping. As for why he jumped it was probably due to the off parameters and small tank size. He already looks a bit stunted like I mentioned earlier.

I really don't want to sound rude or mean, I just want to help your pleco feel better. I love your scape and you are doing the right thing by looking for help, just please consider getting the pleco to a better tank. Again I know I may sound harsh, I just want to help, and I hope this does help

AClassyGuyy

I do know about the nitrate cycle yes and when adding in the new fish there was plants as well and I poured in my friends water as well thinking it was fine but when doing the test afterwards my NO2 was at 0.5 for water changes I do 35%-40% with a 45% done today, ammonia I’m not sure but will get back to you on that. I understand plecos need a much bigger tank but I assumed he was fine in my 45gal as he seemed perfectly fine. Today however he got much worse with little bone exposure and white pus growing on his tail fin.

CaptainAquatics

I do know about the nitrate cycle yes and when adding in the new fish there was plants as well and I poured in my friends water as well thinking it was fine but when doing the test afterwards my NO2 was at 0.5 for water changes I do 35%-40% with a 45% done today, ammonia I’m not sure but will get back to you on that. I understand plecos need a much bigger tank but I assumed he was fine in my 45gal as he seemed perfectly fine. Today however he got much worse with little bone exposure and white pus growing on his tail fin.

He is looking very bad, which I agree with. If possible could you get a photo of his eyes? It will help me determine if maybe stunting is affecting him at this point. As for immediate issues I would isolate him if possible. I would do a salt dip in between moving him. So take him out of the tank, give him a salt dip, then put him in isolation (maybe move one of his favorite decor pieces so he feels comforatble). I would treat the tank with either general cure or salt, but I would go for general cure (or something similar). He’s looking very rough though. You could also try to just keep him in the tank and treat, but I think a salt dip would help. I will tag some other people I know are commonly active to maybe offer advice that I may be blanking on however I do believe they will agree with me.

richie.p Canacullus 86 ssinit FinalFins Frisbee jinjerJOSH22

AClassyGuyy

I can’t really get a photo of his eyes at the moment because he’s in his cave that I added in 2 days ago, I’ve had that cave for him ever since I got him and he even had it when I transferred him to my buddy’s tank And it’s his favourite. His eyes have changed and that’s one of the things I first noticed as they’re sunken into his body. Unfortunately I don’t have the cure salts and every place is now closed from the pandemic so I’m trying to treat him in the 45 currently Because the only other tank I have is a 5gal with 4 ember tetras and 2 amino shrimp. I’ve cleaned out my filter as much I can as well.

CaptainAquatics

I can’t really get a photo of his eyes at the moment because he’s in his cave that I added in 2 days ago, I’ve had that cave for him ever since I got him and he even had it when I transferred him to my buddy’s tank And it’s his favourite. His eyes have changed and that’s one of the things I first noticed as they’re sunken into his body. Unfortunately I don’t have the cure salts and every place is now closed from the pandemic so I’m trying to treat him in the 45 currently Because the only other tank I have is a 5gal with 4 ember tetras and 2 amino shrimp. I’ve cleaned out my filter as much I can as well.

The filter clean may have been a bad idea (unless it was really bad) as that can crash a cycle, but your tank has enough substrate that you should be fine. If you don’t have the meds I don’t think there is much you can do but do daily water changes and hope he gets better. Maybe divide him from the rest of the tank (while making sure he has plenty of room), if you have the resources. I am sorry, I wish there was more to be done: just do daily water changes and hope.

86 ssinit

Yeah that’s one sad pleco. The best I can say is remove it from your tank and put it in a hospital tank. 10g will do. Use some media from the 45 to run a filter. Add a tbl of salt per gallon. That’s a fungus on the tail. Clean water and a fungal med will be needed next. Unfortunately it’s in bad shape.

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

Dang that’s bad. He’s not looking so hot. Honestyl, i would euthanise. Even if he miraculously does recover, he will never be the same. I doubt he could recover, but for now just dose anti fungal, maybe some stuff to promote the slime coating.

Wrench

It may sound overly simple but maybe more aeration in the tank?
Break up the surface more and introduce some more oxygen???
When I first got my 28 gal. Tank and transferred my pleco and bala both did this...no where near as severe but I add 2 more air pumps to the tank and broke up the dead spots and added Accurel F to the tank and it went away in a few days.
Maybe I got lucky but I would try anything at your point to give him a fighting chance.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Randomfish556
Replies
Views
Tinker Betta
Replies
Views
FishandCatlover
Replies
Views