Help with Platy Fry

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice about my brand new Platy fry. i have a 10 gallon tank and was doing a small water change and sucked up over twenty fry. I have them in a breeder net in the tank now and I have been feeding them crushed flake food and defrosted frozen baby brine shrimp. However, they are so small and aren't swimming much, just hanging out on the side of the net or the bottom. They do wiggle a little but it doesn't appear that they are eating. Are they in too much water, are they going to eat in a day or two? I am worried because I am so excited about them and I want them to make it. At east as many as possible. I do have a larger tank (33 long) that i should have in y home in the next three weeks but until then, what should I do. Really, any info would be greatly appreciated.

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
do you have any plants or stones in the tank?? if so i would just let them out of the net-- my experience i have never needed a breeding net and just let them kind of hang out and if they get sucked out during water changes just put them back in. good thing you are getting a bigger tank too!! where are momma and poppa platy??? and what kind of other fish do you have if any?? aren't they so little and cute!!congrats by the way!! i love platy fry!! LILA

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
but i thought the adult fish eat the fry.....i would keep them in the net

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until they reach about 1/8"-1/4"(or at least to big to fit in the mouth of the largest fish), they should stay in the net. They usually just sit in the bottom of the net for the first few days until they realize they are fish and can swim and not just sit there. And about feeding them, they should eat about 1-2 days after they are born(or at least mine did). I also feed mine first thing in the morning(about 1/2 hour after the lights are turned one) the flakes, the frozen brine shrimp in the afternoon, and the flakes at around my supper time and about an hour before I turned off the lights. Hope all this information helps. It is exactly what I did when I had my first batch of fry about 5 weeks after the tank had cycled the first time.
Tom

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the responses! I really appreciate it. It helps a lot. I got home from work last night and saw that some of them were swiming aroung looking as if they were interested in food. A few more were swimming this morning. Mom and Dad are in the tank with them along with two very active Zebra Danios. I do have gravel (large) at the bottom so they have been able to hide until now but considering they are colorless except for their tiny eyes and are only 4 mm long, I hesitate to move them yet. I am hoping they will grow a little more, I am seriously considering getting a five gallon tank with a sponge filter just for them so they can have room to grow and I don't have to worry about them so much. What do you guys think of that? The other thing I am a little concerned with is when I do feed them, the baby shrimp make it out of their little net and the adults are of course extremely excited about this but I don't want to over feed everyone and I am afraid the fry aren't getting enough if any. This morning I turned off the filter for a bit so it wouldn't move the food through the water so fast and give the teenies a chance to eat. anyway, that's it for now but thanks so much for all the input. I feel much more relaxed about the whole thing!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
since you have zebras, you will want to wait till they grow some more 'cause the danio will eat them.
Tom

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
SO I have a small change. I don't have platy fry, I have Danio fry. I was speaking with the fish store and described my fry and since they are so small and colorless, they said they had to be danios. Very odd since I bought 2 danios about 2 weeks before they did this. Also, I have had the fry for a week now and they are ok but I set up a small tank just for them since I figure they can't be in the breeder net for long. I did a partial water change again in my 10 gallon tank and took the water and put it into my small fry tank to help get the cycling started etc. I noticed a small egg in there bobbing around the bottom and figured it probably wouldn't hatch anymore since I have had the others for a week. Well, he hatched a few hours later. What is up with that? How long does it take for zebra eggs to hatch? Is it possible that they either spawned again or just laid eggs over a period of time which explains why this one hatched a week late. Any info would be appreciated.

justaplayr

Reaction score
Yep, sounds like you have danio fry since platy's give live birth. I have a special tank set up just for fry. Right now, I have about 40 mickey mouse platy's in my fry tank. I will usually keep a neon tetra in the fry tank because they won't try to eat the fry. This also helps the fry learn where to find food. I also have a brine shrimp hatchery in my fry tank. The fry will eat the baby brine shrimp after they hatch. Good luck with your fry!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom