Help With Platy Fry?

1. y

youngfishlover New Member Member

My orange painted platy just had a batch of fry--at two times. One baby was recovered about 3 weeks and the rest (about 15 more) one week ago. I was wondering how I should deal with letting them into their community tanks yet. I don't want them to breed again since I have enough. ;) I have heard that basically all platy fry have a female looking anal fin at the start then they develop male characteristics. I don't want to let all of them into my female tank knowing that some of them could be males. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Gator BOSS

Gator BOSS New Member Member

Well, not all of them develop those characteristics. What is the size of your tank? If it's small then don't overcrowd them and give the fry that you cannot keep to the local fish store (LFS). Platies are livebearers and they cannot be stopped from breeding. You should keep giving the fry away as they come. Check out a good website like wikihow for guidance. Never release them in the wild.

3. K

KoiGuppyFan New Member Member

Try keep just males or females which haven't bred already as they can store sperm and be able to breed without males. Correct me if im wrong

4. OP
    OP
    y

My tank size is 36 gallons. I have separate tanks for females and males btw.

5. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I have a 10g just for the fry and when they get old enough they go to the Lfs.

6. OP
    OP
    y

My problem is I don't know which ones are males and females until they get bigger and maybe have already mated.

7. Gator BOSS

Gator BOSS New Member Member

OK. You should get a small tank for the fry and feed them flake food. You can also give them to the LFS later.

8. K

KoiGuppyFan New Member Member

I
    I think at about one month old you might be able to tell the gender.