Help With Plants

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So i am very new to plants and i want to get some. The only live plant i hage is a few marimo moss balls for my bettas. However i want to get some java fern and maybe something else. Exept i don't know how to plant them. Do i plant them in the sand with the pot? Without it? Do i need root tabs? I think live plants is definitly something i am going to get done first.

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Java fern is a type of plant that has a rhisome, and does better if grown on a rock or piece of wood in comparison to being planted in the gravel.

Fertilisation is entirely optional, most easy to grow plants do fine without.

Another plant i would suggest is anubias. Pretty, hardy and a great all round plant IMO.

3. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

java ferns and anubias (there is many many types of each) have a rizome, which is the thick green part at the bottom where the leaves and roots grow from. That has to be above the substrate, most people plant them into driftwood or attach to rocks. You probably don't need root tabs for those plants. Very easy growing. What size tank do you have? In my first planted tank, which is 20g i did hornwort, moneywort, Chinese ivy, tiger lotus, dwarf aquarium Lily, anubias java ferns, hydrapholia of several types, swords and a few others. I've also somehow ended up with duckweed.
    i also have rotala and ludwigia, two east stem plants that can be planted in substrate. They are stem feeders so ferts is a good idea.
    things like swords are root feeders so they benefit from root tabs

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Java fern is better suited for rocks and driftwood.

Anubias works in substrate and on driftwood for me. Just make sure to not plant the rhizome.

Good luck with your plants!

5. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

29g