Help With Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nathan chin, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Nathan chin

Nathan chin Valued Member Member

I want a few more plants for my tank, but they can get pretty expensive I have a few tank with a patch of grass in each but i need more plants. Are there any tips to get cheap plants and how to get them to spread? Or buy and grow more for more tanks?

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

The cheapest is to always buy one and grow it for the others. I get most of mine from petco. One near me has a jungle of a tank. Online can be a good option as well, since they usually have more to choose from.

Try to get some that grow quickly under any conditions: water wisteria, moneywort, hornwort, anacharis, bacopa, jungle val, and many other stem plants. I use liquid ferts and root tabs to help them grow faster. You can also buy a good sized java fern. While that plant itself doesn't grow super fast, they grow new plants quite quickly and you can easily propagate them and spread the babies around. Amazon swords are another good choice. Just buy small ones, they grow really fast. I've found the bigger ones aren't worth the extra price. Definitely use root tabs for them.

3. OP
    OP
    Nathan chin

Nathan chin Valued Member Member

Ok, so If i wanted to grow those recommended plants I just put it in a pot with some soil and it will spread or how do I plant it to grow more?

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Amazon Swords propagate with runners undeground or they just throw a stem out of nowhere and from there a new plant grows. Look it up on google.

5. AngelTheGypsy

It depends on the plant. You don't have to plants them in pots if you have a substrate. With stem plants, I let it float until I see roots growing then just stick it in the substrate. You can propagate them by trimming the tops and then planting those stems in the substrate. Swords in not sure how to propagate, but you just plant them in the substrate. Java fern has a rhizome that has to stay exposed, so those are usually tied or glued to rocks or driftwood, or other decorations. The new plants grow from the back of the leaves so when they get big enough you can just pick them off and tie those to something. The jungle val is a tall growing grass that sends runners to spread itself. When those plants emerge you can cut it from the mother plant and replant it.

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Amazon Swords propagate like jungle vals. And as I said, they can aditionally throw a stemlike stuff from where a new plant will grow.
    Amazon Swords will send runners to the point they can become annoying if you give them root tabs and liquid fertilizers which may be cool, depends on your likings. You can also gift them or sell the new Amazon babys you dont want.

7. AngelTheGypsy

Thanks! I didn't know how they spread! Since the op says he wants to grow plants for many tanks I think that will work well!

8. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

(Advice that comes from 80% research/20% experience) Easy to grow, low light plants tend to be slow growers and will take a little time to propagate. Most fast growing plants will need the right kind of lights, CO2 (or liquid substitutes) and fertilizers. Some plants feed from the roots and will need rich substrates or root tabs, and some feed from the water and need the water fertilized directly. So you're probably going to need to invest in one of three things: the plant's environment (lighting, substrate, fertilizers), the plants (a lot of slow growing easy to grow plants), or time (to let a few easy plants grow enough to fill your tanks).

There are lots of plants that fall between the extremes of course. You can probably find a happy balance if you're willing to experiment. Add a daylight CFL of two to add light, buy some smaller quantities of fertilizers to experiment with and get some stem plants (which tend to sell for cheaper online in my experience) and see what you can get to grow. I'd invest in some Java Fern, anubias, and some moss, though, as they are all well know for being being easy and your experiments won't effect them either way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice