Help With Planting Moneyworth Stems In Sand Substrate

Angolangrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble planting stems of moneyworth in a sand substrate. I have tried planting them individually and also in clumps. I have also attached them together and buried the stems with a fastener. Once the moneyworth is planted the angles fish and rummy nose tetras love swimming between the leaves and then they unplant the stems gradually. I am left with the moneyworth plants floating. How can I prevent this from happening?

Tyler Fishman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You may have to keep them in a deeper substrate, buy more of your medium to place on the bottom of your tank, you can also float them and wait for them to grow roots but this is unasthetically pleasing, I opt for the deeper substrate.

Dice502

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It takes a slow hand that's for sure! What I did with mine was try to plant it at an angle to cause more resistance. If you plant straight down in my experience all stem plants come up so try to plant it at a 45 degree angle, it will straighten back up as it grows. I have seen people use tweezers to plant stem plants but for me it was a nightmare and harder than just using my fingers.

Angolangrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok I will try both these options. The issue is that I have a deep tank and can only use my clumsy tools... Thanks all.

Angolangrl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have tried the advice and left the plants floating for 1-2 weeks so that they grew some roots. Then I planted them at angles and deep. No Success! Most of the money worth plants were uprooted. The sand is about 3" deep. What am I doing wrong? I am letting them float again and am thinking that I should try bounding them with a rubber band and plant them. Options? Advice?

Also, the other plants seem to be doing well. The money worth (the ones that stay planted) are a nice green color however the leave are only at the top and are with a long stem and no leaves in the middle or bottom. I am using "trive" liquid fertilizer and flourish tabs. Lighting is on for about 8 hours a day. It is a 30'Deep tank. Lighting type: Fluval A3992 Aqua Fresh & Plant 2.0 What is going on and what can I do to fix this?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Angolangrl said:
Ok, I have tried the advice and left the plants floating for 1-2 weeks so that they grew some roots. Then I planted them at angles and deep. No Success! Most of the money worth plants were uprooted. The sand is about 3" deep. What am I doing wrong? I am letting them float again and am thinking that I should try bounding them with a rubber band and plant them. Options? Advice?

Also, the other plants seem to be doing well. The money worth (the ones that stay planted) are a nice green color however the leave are only at the top and are with a long stem and no leaves in the middle or bottom. I am using "trive" liquid fertilizer and flourish tabs. Lighting is on for about 8 hours a day. It is a 30'Deep tank. Lighting type: Fluval A3992 Aqua Fresh & Plant 2.0 What is going on and what can I do to fix this?
Did they grow roots already? What I would do is plant the stems and put more sand around them. If you put them in clumps with a rubber band then it will just kill the piece under the rubber band causing it to rot. You can try floating them for another week to get more roots or get a metal plant weight to hold them down.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom