Help With Plant Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 5 gallon aquatic plant tank. no heater, no filter. just water, gravel and a few little pieces of ludwigia. i have no clue how to grow aquatic plants or what they need. are they affected by ammonia, ph? ammonia is .50 and ph is 8.8. Any help would be much appreciated!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally think, that if fish can get ammonia burn on fins, the plant could also get ammonia burn. Also, I think the ph is bit high, I read coconut shells or almond leaves help to lower it. Almond leaves can turn your water bit yellowish, so I would be careful with dosing, or weaken them a little by pouring hot water and let them release some color before putting in tank. Do you have some light on the tank? I think I would use some liquid fertilizer and do partial water changes once a week

I would also like to try to keep anubias plant in a vase with just gravel and liquid fertilizer Good luck!

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Plants would appreciate some current from filtration... not a necessity, but helpful.
Ludwigia likes lights and ferts.
Too much ammonia can harm plants, but at those levels the plants will use it as nutrition.
If you plan to add livestock at some point a stable ph with livestock to match your conditions vs altering to match livestock is easier.

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally think, that if fish can get ammonia burn on fins, the plant could also get ammonia burn. Also, I think the ph is bit high, I read coconut shells or almond leaves help to lower it. Almond leaves can turn your water bit yellowish, so I would be careful with dosing, or weaken them a little by pouring hot water and let them release some color before putting in tank. Do you have some light on the tank? I think I would use some liquid fertilizer and do partial water changes once a week

I would also like to try to keep anubias plant in a vase with just gravel and liquid fertilizer Good luck!
Okay thank you. I have an led light on the tank and I have the window open a little so it hits that tank only. Will a tank cycle without a filter or heater?

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jave ferns would be a good choice. They are tough and very easy to grow.
The plant sitting on the wood to the left is one. Remember not to plant the rhizome (the part the leafs grow from).
View attachment 432208
Wow, your tank is gorgeous! I was actually about to get some yesterday. They are 4.99 at my lfs. I also ordered some dwarf lotus seeds that I'm going to start off in a small tank and move to a bigger one

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay thank you. I have an led light on the tank and I have the window open a little so it hits that tank only. Will a tank cycle without a filter or heater?
I dont think it will ever cycle, because the bacteria lives mostly in a filter. But water changes should keep amonia low enough I think Just think of it as of flowers in vase, they also need water to be changed from time to time I am thinking, that when I will do water change in my aquarium I will simply put this water into the vase It might bring some nutritions and maybe some co2 and bacteria with it

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I dont think it will ever cycle, because the bacteria lives mostly in a filter. But water changes should keep amonia low enough I think Just think of it as of flowers in vase, they also need water to be changed from time to time I am thinking, that when I will do water change in my aquarium I will simply put this water into the vase It might bring some nutritions and maybe some co2 and bacteria with it
Sounds good. I'll just move one of my job filters when my other tank cycles. Thank you

Reactions: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.8%

Top Bottom