Help With Plant Setup

1. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

I have a 55 gallon tank and want to make it have a few plants, 1 of each.
    I want to get -
    1 anubias
    1 madagascar lace plant
    1 java fern?
    I bought some eco complete gravel by carrib sea and I am planning on buying the fluval 2.0 led plant light
    I also bought some flourish excel
    Am I missing something? Do I need to layer over the gravel with sand? Do I need plant tabs? Please tell me anything I am missing, I really want this to work out. Thank you for the time.

2. d

danhutchins Member Member

You do not need to cover the eco complete and excel is only good to treat algae. If you were planning to use it as a carbon source for plants it is not the right type of carbon, you would need pressurized co2 for that but you shouldn't need it with those plants as they are slow growers adding co2 and ferts will only create an algae issue. You shouldn't need tabs either since the substrate has nutrients in it already.

3. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

Won't the substrate run out of the nutrients eventually? I also found out that water conditioner will remove all of the heavy metals I put in the tank, which means it will make my eco complete useless too, right?

4. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

So, do I need anything? Am I all good? It has fish in it, so does that mean I don't need to dose with anything?! I forgot to mention, but my anubias will be on a piece of driftwood and not in the gravel/

5. d

danhutchins Member Member

You will need to treat the water with a conditioner it will not hurt the substrate. And the fish waste will keep the substrate going. The anubias should be fine but if you notice a deficiency you can add liquid but only dose small amounts since it grows slowly it doesn't require much for food. The waste from fish should be enough.

6. OP
    OP
    OneLittleBubble

So I don't need any kind of supplements because of the fish?