Help With Plant Choices For My 55g Hardscape?

NYFishGuy

I wanted to create a bunch of spaces at different heights with the hardscape but not sure what to put in them all.
I'm looking for mostly easy plants that don't need co2 but I might add it in the future.
What do you guys think would fit these spots the best?
The tallest stuff in the back "1" location I was thinking some kind of val.
Maybe some kind of short red plants in the middle. I want a lot of green all over with some red highlights.

Bonus: Help me decide on location for my AC110 and possibly adding a small sponge / circulator

55g-planting-6-23-18.jpg
55g-6-23-18.jpg

AJE

Wait do you want plants? Or decor I think it would be cool in 5 to put one of those bubble volcanos you know from finding Nemo

Jocelyn Adelman

Most red plants do best with co2. You could try ludwigia repens and/or ludwigia ovalis (ovalis gets quite wide, would do best in #2)

Argh! I keep going to make suggestions and forget no co2!!!,

Val’s would look nice #1.
4 Vesuvius sword
3 maybe dwarf sag
5 hygrophila, maybe cabomba, ludwigia repens
6 anubias or buce... change up the texture/stems

aussieJJDude

Heres what I would do.
1. Vals (I would suggest some of the larger crypts like sprialis or balansae however... may be nicer to lool at. )
2. Would suggest something like crypts here, but for me personally I hate looking at the stems. So Hemianthus glomeratus (also known incorrectly as H. micranthemoides or micranthemum micranthemoides... same plant). I like the above suggestion of Vesuvius sword, have them in one tank and love them!
3. staurogyne repens or AR minI (have had great success with AR minI in low light... more of a pinkish bronze however, but still looks nice IMO)
4. Crypts (would suggest something like wendtii. var green or wendtii. var bronze) also has big roots so help stabilise that hill you got going there.
5. May sound crazy, but red tiger lotus. Otherwise maybe red flame sword or something similar that has pop of colour
6. Dunno what size of plant you want here, I suggest small personally... around the size of 6inch or less.. tropica sword would be a good choice and help stabilise that embankment a bit - big root system.

Would also suggest accent plants between the rocks, like above, buce (many have red/blue/white in them, is nice... plus great leaves!); anubias (petite, but also white, cofferforia (dark leaves look amazing against red/light greens!) or nana) or java fern, particularly minI and windolov varieties.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bumblinBee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Devosia
  • Question
Replies
Views
Toothy