Help with paper about live plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
School is over(homeschooled)! Well, has been all week. I still have a couple pages of writing and a speech to do though. I'm working on a paper about the benefits of live plants instead of fake. I only thought of a couple ideas:
they are more natural and beautiful.
They eat nitrates.
They supply oxygen.
Any ideas??? Thanks!!

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmmm, maybe you can win aquascaping contests with them? lol Um, that's about all I can think of right now . . . . . I'll think about it.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Be careful with that one... experiments and research have shown that many plants actually prefer ammonium, and will consume nitrate only when they don't have a better source of nitrogen.

As Diana Walstad says:
The nitrogen cycle is often presented incorrectly to hobbyists as nitrifying bacteria converting ammonium to nitrates and then plants taking up nitrates. Actually, it consists of both plants and bacteria competing for ammonium. Only if plants are forced to, will they take up nitrates.
As far as benefits to planted tanks that you didn't list, there are quite a few. Here are some of the ones I like:
  • Planted tanks tend to look more natural, which many (myself included) find more aesthetically pleasing
  • Plants can outcompete algae for nutrients
  • Plants can offer shelter and security for fish (particularly fry)

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
-They eat nitrogen (whether it's ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc... doesn't really matter. The end result is that nitrogen is bound up in the plants)
-They tend to look better, presuming they're cared for.
-They can be better for fish (I have heard of three or four cases of fish injuring themselves on the sharp plastic edges of artificial guppy grass)
-They reduce the occurrence of algae.
-They provide surface area for nitrifying bacteria.
-They provide security for small/shy fish.
-They provide resting places for many fish, such as bettas, suckermouths, and sometimes even kuhlis.
-They provide supplemental food for fish (both in the form of bits of leaves and in the form of the micro-flora and -fauna that grow on them)

All of this being said, the instructor spirit in me wants to remind you to look into our suggestions here and do your own research on them. Use them as springboards, and your paper (and, more importantly, your knowledge of the subject) will grow exponentially. For example, when referring to the process in which the plants consume nitrogen, you could look up and include information on that process, on how they do so.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
plants produce a spawning surface for egg layers!
they aren't manufactured (less plastic Co2 and such)

P.S go homeschoolers!(as far as i know that's you and I )

OP
fbn

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here it is...I will probably still have to make some adjustments. Feel free to comment!

There are a few reasons why you may want live plants instead of fake, which may interest you. First, live plantsadd oxygen to the aquarium's water. Oxygen is a crucial component to having healthy fish. Second, live plants consume different types of nitrogen, which are a dangerous by-products of fish waste that can easily kill fish. Nect, they are more natural and beautiful (to most). Some people would rather have a tank with a certain theme, such as an Amazonian tank. This is more attainable with live plants in stead of fake ones. One could possibly make a themed tank with fake plants, but could end up looking disastrous. Another reason why you would rather have live plants is, plastic plants can rip or injure a fish. Elegant fish with long, flowing fins are better housed with live plants. Live plants also compete with algae for nutrients, thus they help keep the annoying green\brown stuff away. If you are breeding fish, live plants are also the way to go. They supply great fry cover! Java moss, which is a live plant, just simply cannot be beaten out by any plastic plant in terms of hiding spots for fry. Also, some fish and invertabrates have to have live plants to feed on. Obviously, fake plants cannot help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom