Help with pairing male and female

Breaker329

Hello! I am in need of some help.

I have my two fish picked out who seem to be a great pair. This is my first breeding attempt. I have a great set-up; a 10 gal tank with the correct level of 80 degree water. lots of leaves and hiding places, two options for bubble nest building and a sponge filter. Both fish were prepped and fed for weeks prior.
My female was put in her jar within the tank, and allowed to settle in before my male was put in.
They spent the night meeting through the glass, and I released the female this morning. While my male had not made a nest yet, he got to work on it. I checked on them continuously all morning and he spent his time building his bubble nest, with her coming to check it out and flare at him. My female is extremely outgoing, my male seems to be more shy.
I will note that my male did not seem to be very good at building his nest, it was smaller than most I've seen and didn't get much bigger throughout the day.

I went outside for work for a few hours this late afternoon and when I came home, my male's bubble nest was nearly gone and his fins were tattered. He was hiding under some leaves before I separated them.

Trouble shooting ideas?? Is this just a bad pair, or is there something you can think of that I should consider next time (if there is a next time)? I'm very disappointed!

blushrimp1

I would get a different female for your male. Or, try again with this pair in a few weeks. Condition them well with lots of live food and clean water. I used to put my pairs together right before a big storm came through. A falling barometer can induce a male to build a nice big nest and get him "in the mood". I would not release the female until the male has a nest made and is actively going from the jarred female to his nest, trying to entice her over.

ForBettaorForWorse

Ya, I would try a different female. Some girls are pretty aggressive towards males.
Your breeding setup sounds way better than mine though:)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Bettafantasy
  • Question
Replies
Views
carlosgl
  • Question
Replies
Views