Help with odd plant disease

Volkswagen

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Background: 2 week old 15 gallon tank. 2 glass blood fin tetras to cycle along with some bacteria additive(can't remember the name off the top of my head).

The tank appears to have cycled. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2.5ppm nitrate.

Substrate: Eco complete.

I began with 2 easy to grow Anubias Barteri plants. I have had them before and they always grew excellent in my previously less than stellar plant set up.

I assumed with my new fertilized substrate and better lighting they would be great.

They grew great for 2 weeks. Both sent up new leaves and their color remained dark and vibrant.

The problem: I noticed one evening a plant developed some white slime looking stuff on the upper part of the rhizome. I debated removing the plant, and finally did. The smell was horrible. I Threw it in the trash immediately and chalked it up to a bad plant. Two days later the same thing happened to the other plant. I even noticed some small bubbles periodically coming from the white colony. (decomposition?) I am stumped. None of this slime is on anything else in the aquarium and the fish are in great shape.

Help me out. x

Last edited:

mathew9889

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds like the plant was rotting and bacteria started growing on the dying plant. Have you stirred up the sediment recently to see if there is anymore bacteria or decaying matter the bacteria maybe growing on?

edit: is your tank cycled?

Volkswagen

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The plants still looked good when I removed them. Whatever attacked them hadn't begun to kill them yet.

The tank is new, so no, there is no other organic waste in the substrate.

Appears to have cycled. Refer to info in my original post.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!

Since your plants looked ok is it possible it was left over food getting moldy?

Volkswagen

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have been feeding the fish slowly to make sure they eat it all. Two small tetras don't make too much of a mess.

The odd thing is that both plants developed bacteria/mold/whatever it was was on the same spot on the rhizome.

I also took care to make sure the rhizome was not actually planted in the gravel since I know they are supposed to be exposed.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming and lets figure this out.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishLore!
How often do you change water and vacuum the substrate? What kind of substrate do you have?
carol

Volkswagen

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Carol,

The tank is only 2-2.5 weeks old and has just completed the cycle. I have not had the need to change the water yet.

Substrate is eco-complete.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom