Help With Numbers

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by seth rodgers, Apr 14, 2018.

1. seth rodgers

seth rodgers Valued Member Member

Hello, I didnt know which type of tetra to put this under but i would like some advice. I have never owned tetras but know some are peaceful and are schooling fish. If i get some for my 20 gallon with one molly and two platies, which type and how many should i get? they have some hiding places andit is planted.
    Thanks

2. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

Would you like bigger or smaller tetras? If you want some small ones, I’d say neons, glowlights, or embers. But if you want some bigger ones you could do black skirts or something similar. Research some tetra species that you like and then post them here and we can tell you if thats a good fit and how many.

3. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

I like the serpae, black skirt, red eye, black phantom. But for the smaller ones i love the neon tetras but i heard they are hard to keep...

4. Buganjimo

You could probably keep around 8 tetras of that size.

5. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Of the bigger size? IT is a 20 gallon planted with 2 platies and a molly.. Also, am i right about neons being hard to keep?

Hello,
    Thinking about buying neons but i have heard they are hard to keep. Before i buy them i would like some information on ways to keep them alive and opinions on if i should keep them or if i am wasting my time, money, and their lives :(
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  6. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Sometimes they really can be tricky, especially with the NTD going around.
    I personally would never buy neons for my tanks, cardinal tetras would be my next pick.

7. Buganjimo

I’m pretty sure 8 of the bigger ones should be fine, but start with 6. Neons are easy after a certain point. You just need to get a good stock from a trusted lfs and you’re good. But if the stock is questionable, they might be hard to acclimate.

8. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Thank you!

Are cardinal tetras more hardy?

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I believe, and they are warmer water fish.

10. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

My heater is set at 78. Thanks!

So
    if i did get neon or cardinal tetras... How many?

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged as the two were overlapping with the same questions, it’s less confusing if all the information is in one place

12. Buganjimo

Cardinals like 79-82 degrees I think, but you could probably do 8-10 of those.

13. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Ok so if i set my heater to 80 it will be okay for the molly and platies?

14. Buganjimo

That would be the top of the temperature range for the molly, but fine for the platties. It’s not exactly good for fish in long term to keep them at the top of their range, or the bottom in the cardinals case (if you were to keep it at 79)
    Edit: I did a little more reading and some sites say 79, and some say 75 is minimum. So you could probably keep the temp at 79 and be fine.

15. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Thank you so much

16. Buganjimo

No problem! If you need anymore help, I’m always around and other members will also be glad to help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice