Help with new ghost shrimp

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello I recently got around 13 ghost shrimp from the pet store I work at. I'm new to fish keeping and one of my shrimps turned white and died. I researched a little and lots of sources say bad things about coper sulfate which is in the algae wafers and fish food I feed them. That along with the tank maybe not being cycled killed the one. What is the ideal temp the tank should be at for the ghost shrimp? It's at around 72 degrees right now and also I want reccomendations for copper free shrimp food that I can easily get from pet smart or petco/petland. I'm going to order snowflake shrimp food but want other info. Thanks

Attachments

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! First and foremost, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? I see you said you’re new to fish keeping and the cycle is the key to keeping your fish healthy.

Also, they’re ghost shrimp. They’re bred to be feeders and die easily. Most even come with horsehair worms. I wouldn’t worry too much about the one that died. I also don’t think there would be enough copper sulfate in the food to do much damage to the shrimp but let’s wait and see what everyone else says :)

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I have a 20 gallon long tank with a lot of tropical community fish and the aquarium has gone through the nitrogen cycle. This new one has some of tetra safestart beneficial bacteria and lots of plants and the carbon pillow from my cycled tank in it

Sunflower said:
Hi! First and foremost, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? I see you said you’re new to fish keeping and the cycle is the key to keeping your fish healthy.

Also, they’re ghost shrimp. They’re bred to be feeders and die easily. Most even come with horsehair worms. I wouldn’t worry too much about the one that died. I also don’t think there would be enough copper sulfate in the food to do much damage to the shrimp but let’s wait and see what everyone else says :)
I'm getting cherry shrimp from my store next week and hope the tank is running fine. I have two mystery snails in the tank too. I've heard terrible things of copper sulfate in fish foods

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's very common for ghost shrimp to die soon after going into a new tank. They don't live very long under the best of conditions anyway. A year at the most from hatching. I just had one die after 3 months and that's the longest I have ever kept one. He was a tough little guy. He came with a horsehair worm which he survived the exit of. Lately he had been changing color, getting darker brown with a few white bands and a white tail and mouth parts. He was actually pretty nice looking. He was very active and ate all the fish food that made it to the bottom therefore being a great scavenger. Yesterday he was active and eating and today he is dead.

You are better off using food that does not contain copper sulfate but it's not easy to find. No foods by Omega One contain any form of copper. Interestingly Crab Cuisine by Hikari which is supposed to also be good for shrimp does contain copper sulfate and so does the Shrimp Formula of Bug Bites. I guess the amount in the food is not enough to be harmful.

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I got aqueon herbivore shrimp pellets without copper in it. It's for when I get cherry shrimp next week but I'm not sure if tank is ready still. Also, the preheated temp of thermometer is bad and at low to mid 70s

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@CoronaExtra Croeso welcome to fishlore first of all dont worry about copper you find in shrimp food it's only trace elements and will not kill your shrimp, most vegetables we feed shrimp have copper in and they need the vegetables for calcium to live the lethal dose to kill inverts is 0.003mg per ltr of water so dont worry when you see it on the packet, your tank temperature is fine for cherries and as mentioned above ghost are not worth the effort. As for your tank it needs to be at least 2monthes old or you will have losses when you put them in. The worse thing you can do is rush and with shrimp you cant do that, so make sure it's right from the start

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
@CoronaExtra Croeso welcome to fishlore first of all dont worry about copper you find in shrimp food it's only trace elements and will not kill your shrimp, most vegetables we feed shrimp have copper in and they need the vegetables for calcium to live the lethal dose to kill inverts is 0.003mg per ltr of water so dont worry when you see it on the packet, your tank temperature is fine for cherries and as mentioned above ghost are not worth the effort. As for your tank it needs to be at least 2monthes old or you will have losses when you put them in. The worse thing you can do is rush and with shrimp you cant do that, so make sure it's right from the start
Thank you sir. But there definitely are ways to speed the nitrogen cycle which have worked for my 20 gallon where all my fish thrive. Beneficial bacteria Inna bottle and aquatic plants with bacteria and filter pads from other tanks help a lot

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright I understand. I will study them closely and they seem active and happier after I did a water change. Just wondering, what are the requirements for an aquarium for shrimp to breed?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First of all you need a mature stable tank and this with shrimp will take 2 to 3months theres no quick fix here except losses if you rush, once you've got this check your perameters, for cherries you need ph7 to 8 gh5 to15 dont worry do much about your kh. Water temperature 72 to 76, water change 10 to 15% weekly you can even do 20%, they will not start to breed until they are 5months old, you can use media and water from another tank to kick start but you'll have no biofilm so I normally leave it at least a month before adding shrimp and make sure you drip them for 2 hrs, any meds or quick starts can be toxic to shrimp so mix the both at your own risk

CoronaExtra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never drip acclimated fish before. I've seen videos but that's it. Is there a super easy way to do it? And yes I'm not gonna rush it

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shrimp must be drip acclimated fish dont need it
If your going to rush it theres no more I can say

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The reason you wait to add shrimp is not just because of unstable water but so they have enough biofilm to eat. Not all take shrimp food readily.
Richie is one of the best for shrimp knowledge. There are others, but i know richie knows his shrimp stuff.

Ive got ghost shrimp... i bought a total of 6 months ago. I only have 3 left. One died of apparent old age and two died from muscular necrosis (their tail starts to turn cloudy white and it spreads to their whole body). Last 3 are doing great though. Its a shame they dont live long because i think theyre really fun little shrimp. So much personality in a little body and they do good cleaning up food fish miss. But they ARE delicate.

You want the best start possible with shrimp. Especially with cherry shrimp

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom