1. Dexrex56 Initiate Member

2 new fish need help

I got two more comet fish today
    I now have
    1. Winter(the white one)
    2. Autumn (brown one)(new)
    3. Spring (orange with black lips)(new)
    4. Summer (orange and white)
    For the two new fish I got today should I look out for anything to see if they are stressed or infected? But the two that were in the tank before seem to have already accepted the new fish(swimming all together in a group) but spring the new and smallest one of the group seems to have an hard time keeping up with the others

Is this only because he small and the others are bigger and faster? Or is he sick? [​IMG]

I plan on getting a 75 gallon next month so they have a lot more room

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You probably don't want to hear this, but I would rehome all of the comets. They get very large and need a pond. Even a 75 gal isn't big enough for them. Unless you can get them in a pond very soon, they're not good fish for you.

Can you give us water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

3. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Yeah comet goldfish get 1-2feet long, if allowed to grow to their full size. Which is in a pond or a massive aquarium a single one needs a 75 gallon tank if I remember correctly,then another 30 after then per fish. Sorry if this isn't the most accurate, I've only read about goldfish care.. Rehoming then to a pond is whats best, sorry.

4. Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

Look, I'm new to this, so take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt and do your own research. But, while goldfish get very large, they don't do it overnight. Someone I talked to on a goldfish-specific forum, who has kept goldfish for a very long time and who I trust to know his information, told me that it takes 20 gallons of water (minimum) for one goldfish and 10 gallons more for each additional goldfish. I don't know how new you are to goldfish keeping, but there's a lot of information out there that I didn't even know I needed to know. So I recommend research, research, research.

Now, I don't understand why you think your goldfish is sick. Could you provide more specifics please?

5. beau Well Known Member Member

20gal for one and 10gallons for each is one rule, 20gal each is another rule, but either way, those are only applicable to fancy Goldfish.

Any of the single tail varieties need at least 40gal each, but are more suited for ponds as they need a lot of horizontal swimming space. I wouldn't put a comet in an aquarium less than 6ft long.

6. Dexrex56 Initiate Member

I got two more comet fish yesterday from the store making it 4 in total

I check leave today to see one of the new ones staying at the bottom of the tank near the plants and I come home from school to see him at the exact same place I left him in when I left

All the other 3 fish seem to be normal, swimming around the other new fish seems to have already adapted and is swimming around. It's the other fish the just doesn't move that much

Is he sick? What should I do?

Please help

7. Dexrex56 Initiate Member

I thought he was sick but it turns out he was just adjusting he is fine now swimming normally , it's the other new one that's the problem.

At first he was swimming around with the other fish but I left for school to see him next to the plant and I come back to see he hasn't moved an inch is he sick? What should I do?

8. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank? What are the parameters, how did you acclimate them, is it cycled, how long have the others been in there, is he laying on the bottom, if you could, can you get a photo?

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged

10. Dexrex56 Initiate Member

Its a 25 gallon tank for the moment but I'm getting a 75 next month

I haven't check the parameters because i don't have kit but I had my water checked yesterday at Petco and they told me everything is fine

Its been laying there for about 8 hours and yes i can get a picture

he is the brown one next to the green plant
    everyone else seems to be active but him

the other two ones (the white and orange/white ones) have been in this tank since April 24th 2016 and the little orange and black one has been in there along with the brown one for 24 hours

I let the bag float for 20 minutes in the tank then i took some of my tank water and put it in the bag and let it float again for another 20 minutes then i took them out of the bag and into the tank, throwing away the pet store water

The tank is cycled
    [​IMG]