Help with new aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jren, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Jren

Jren Valued Member Member

Hi all!!! im new to the forum, and a beginner aquarist as well!! ive recently gotten into this hobby and would like to start a freshwater planted aquarium. <br />
    Honestly, im in a dilemna to choose between bolivian cichlids , honey gouramis or kribensis <br />
    my planned set up is as follows:<br />
    8 neon tetras<br />
    6 panda/peppered corydoras<br />
    1 clown pleco OR bn pleco
    and 1 Bolivian ram/ honey gourami/ kribensis
    in a 20 gallon tank<br />
    could you help me suggest a species from the 3 that is easy to care for for the beginner aquarist? Also, i would like to have recommendations for aquatic plants that are easy to care for, and of course any advice you would like to impart to me from your experience. Lastly, i would like to know if the tank is overstocked or understocked XD and perhaps you could suggest suitable alternatives? thanks!!!<br />
    <br />
    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

please kindly advise :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016
  2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    Jren

sorry, but arent honeys and dwarfs almost the same? i actually would opt for the dwarfs, but i read in multiple sources that they probably have a disease when u first get them. Also, would u suggest a bn or clown? im completely new so i dont have any experience to guide me haha and wont the gourami feel lonely being alone?

4. FallenOwl

Oh, yes sorry about that, I was thinking gold gourami when I was reading
    3x Honey gourami (1x male, 2x female) Or 1x dwarf gourami would work
    And the dwarf gourami will be perfectly fine being the only gourami and getting 2 males can cause problems
    IME bn plecos tend to be more active during the day, so I would vote for them

5. OP
    OP
    Jren

ill have to search up for how to care for bns xD. wont 3x honey gourami overstock the tank? thanks miss!

6. FallenOwl

IMO getting 3 honey gouramis won't overstock your tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Jren

so,
    3 honeys OR 1 dwarf
    10 neons
    8 pandas
    1 bn pleco
    would fit nicely in a 20 gallon tank? would a pair of dwarves overstock it?

8. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Do you have a tank thats long or is it tall? Did you set this tank up and cycle it already or just looking ahead?

Personally I would so with cory or pleco as they both like the bottom tank but thats just me. Lots have both I am sure!

9. FallenOwl

I would not get more then 1 dwarf. If you only have 1 female with a male, he might harass her.

10. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

With BN pleco (or really almost all plecos) you'll need driftwood of some sort. They rasp on it and it gives them necessary fiber for their diets. They also need fesh veggies every other day/every day imo. I feed mine zucchini and cucumber as well as algae wafers and bottom feeder pellets. I'll be trying more foods but here's a list I keep from Alyray (hope i spellt that right)

[​IMG]

They also need hiding places like caves or plant cover to hangout.

I'm not sure if BN needs 29+ but that's what ive been seeing on here. Is this a 20g tall or long?

11. OP
    OP
    Jren

i have not bought anything yet as i dont want my fish to suffer because of some noob mistake i make as a beginner, hence im here researching . im planning to get a long 20 gal. btw, what do you mean by "i would so"?

honeys wont harrass the female then?

12. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

I keep getting the impression that dwarfs are a bit more "rowdy" then the seemingly more peaceful honey, is that right?

Hah I mean "I would go with" typo there. Asking here is the way to go. Too much misinformation out there and at least here you get people with personal experience! I wanted to get cory but bought gravel for my tank and THEN found out that they like sand, so no cory for me now.

13. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

14. OP
    OP
    Jren

have not bought the tank yet, but im planning on a 20 gal long! if u feel that the pleco wont be comfortable with a 20 gal, i wouldnt mind swapping it out for any alternative fish! the reason why i included a pleco is because all the aquariums ive seen all have a sucker in them hahaha. and i heard they help take care of any potential algae problem as well.

15. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Ottos are cute little suckers, but think they like 6+, but small and cute!

16. OP
    OP
    Jren

ohh haha... ive seen cories with gravel before though! those multicolored gravel that aquarium stores seem to have haha.

thank you!

i was considering them as well, but i read that they arent easy to keep for the beginner aquarist haha

are there any fish that anyone would like to recommend to me to add in the inventory, with it being easy to care for since i might be taking out the pleco.

17. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Me too, thats why I was sure that it would be fine! But the more I looked into it the more I saw that sand was preferred or (debatable) very smooth gravel thats very clean. Of course I got the rougher type.. so I scrapped that idea.

I wanted guppy tetra and gourami but once I cycled and was ready to get fish my stocking list changed. Ended up with Neons that are lovely! Then guppy and they swim all over so they filled my tank and I just left the idea of bottom dwellers out. But I did get snails as bonus or pest (depending how you look at it) from plants. They are fun and keep my algae in check but they do breed like water rabbits. Also added a few shrimp, so fun!

Just my 2 cents on plants, don't get discouraged if the first ones don't take off, I went through a few beginner plants before I found ones that love the particular water that I have and took off.

Edit: Oh ottos may not be easy, afraid I can't find those anywhere so never did look into them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice