Help with mystery rainbow ID

Helen

Added to my turquoise rainbows and this chap was in with them. He's longer and skinnier than my other bows and has a longer analfin. He's definitely male as he tries to heard the females and do the dance with them. Irridecent blue lines and spots with some orange spots. Couldn't get a good picture as he's fast but any ideas what he could be?
Added to my turquoise rainbows and this chap was in with them. He's longer and skinnier than my other bows and has a longer analfin. He's definitely male as he tries to heard the females and do the dance with them. Irridecent blue lines and spots with some orange spots. Couldn't get a good picture as he's fast but any ideas what he could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_174455.jpg
    IMG_20220123_174455.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220123_174455.jpg
    IMG_20220123_174455.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 23

Hellfishguy

Lamprichthys tanganicanus, the Tanganyika killifish. Nice find!

MacZ

But grow quite big and need lots of space. Also beware: Jumpers!

Helen

Wow no wonder I couldn't find anything like him in rainbows online.
He might have to go then since it says he won't like busy fish like the rainbows.

Thanks so much, I would have been sat wondering why he wasn't fattening up months down the line. He is beautiful though.

MacZ

He might have to go then since it says he won't like busy fish like the rainbows.
Least of your problems. I wouldn't keep them in a tank of less than 2.5 meters.

Helen

He's in a 5 ft tank. Where can I send him where he will be appreciated?

MacZ

He's in a 5 ft tank. Where can I send him where he will be appreciated?
Ok, that's a decent size for the time being. I'd look into Uk based Tanganyika freaks, I know from experience these fish are sought after and people will take even singular fish.

Helen

Where do I find the tanganika freaks?
How much do I look at charging for him too? I know he's unusual but I don't know much about values.
Or is it a bit cheeky to charge since I just thought he was an unusual rainbow?

MacZ

Where do I find the tanganika freaks?
Online groups and forums?

How much do I look at charging for him too? I know he's unusual but I don't know much about values.
For a 15cm fish you pay 18€ here. No idea what's that in pound.

Or is it a bit cheeky to charge since I just thought he was an unusual rainbow?
You should not charge more than what you paid. I'd probably charge nothing and cut the losses. At best break even.

Helen

Fab. Il give him to my local dealer I'm sure he will know someone in the clubs or auction who will have the right home for him.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views
Dempsey Dude
Replies
Views