Help With My Water, Please

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Georgie Girl, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Georgie Girl

Georgie GirlValued MemberMember

I'm new to fishkeeping.

I have a male Betta in a five-gallon tank with about four gallons of water in it. I've had it going for a week today. I tested my water this morning:

ammonia 0.25
    nitrite 0.50
    nitrate 10.0
    pH 8.2
    temp 80f*

Now, shortly after testing, I conveniently sprained my knee while grocery shopping. (Add that to the list of ACL risk factors.) If a water change is indicated, I can't do it.

What does this tell me about where my tank is in the nitrogen cycle?

Please tell me how to treat the water, if necessary, and offer whatever other advice you'd care to. Thanks!

* I guess this is a little warm, but I have a small, pre-set heater and there's no way to adjust it.

2. DutchAquarium

DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

You still want to wait for the ammonia and nitrite to hit 0. your very close to end of cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    Georgie Girl

Georgie GirlValued MemberMember

Thanks, DA.

4. WanhiBetta

WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

You need to do water changes until both ammonia and nitrite are 0. If ammonia and nitrite get to 1ppm combined it is dangerous for your betta.
    Do you treat the water with prime?

The temperature is absolutely perfect for a betta. They should be in temperature around 78-80.

5. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

if you can't do water changes you should buy prime. it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm total combined. you're at .75 total combined so it would be ok to use that without water changes... until your nitrates get up to 40ppm. then you'll need someone to help you change water weekly to keep nitrates below 40 (aim for below 20)

if either ammonia or nitrite go up from here, though, you should get a friend or family member to help change the water so the levels drop to less than 1ppm overall combined. :)

6. Theblitchwitch

TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

I agree with the replies above. It took me about 3 weeks+ to cycle my 5.5 gallon betta tank with added help using the 'seeding' method. I used Prime to help detoxify my ammonia and nitrate levels--it worked wonderfully!

However, I would maybe try to look into possibly lowering your pH. Betta fish prefer a pH of 7.0 or slightly more acidic. But some betta fish are adaptable, so this is just a generalization.

Good luck with completing your cycle!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018