Help with my Rena XP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought my XP3 in Nov of last year and have been really pleased with it up until recently. It just doesnt push water out like it used to. Ive cleaned all the foam ppi for mechanical filtration with tank water, chanded my micro filtration pads as well as my bio chem zorb. It seemed to help for a few days, but now when I put my hand in front of the water flow it isnt very strong. I have noticed that the tubes going in\out of the filter are kinda dirty looking, but that shouldnt have a big effect should it? I could see if I swaped everything out and wasnt getting good pressure, but to have good pressure and it slowly drop...?? I am somewhat boggled??

..should I just kick it? Ive heard that helps!:;nin

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I say kick it.
I have the XP filter too. You could try cleaning the tubes just to make sure nothing is blocking the flow. Also do you have a rainbar that is the output?? That's what mine has. Be sure to take it apart and clean it well. Mine can get NASTY. I would do a through cleaning of EVERYTHING that you can manage to take apart and see if that helps. If it doesn't it may just be that it's losing power and not filtering what it should be.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is the best way to clean the tubes out? Ive squeezed on em and it breaks some stuff up which then came out of the rainbar. I'll rip it apart this weekend and give her a good cleanin. Thanks for the reply.

Dig your qoute. Went to 'Awaken the Giant Within' a few years ago. POWERFUL information!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could change (or clean) the tubes for sure. Also clean the impeller and housing.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could change (or clean) the tubes for sure. Also clean the impeller and housing.
I was wondering if just swaping them out would be easier. Prolly go to an all black tube so no light can get through.

So cleaning out the impeller and housing...Im a noob..how would I go about doing that..

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well..I bought my 120gallon used and cleaned the tubes then because they were gross. I can't really remember how we did it. lol. I ran really super hot water through them for a long time and then I think it had something to do with wire hangers and washcloths but don't count on it. ;D You could probably just do the hot water and squeeze them to break it apart. I'm sure that would do a lot and it can't hurt. The rainbar can get super nasty I was really surprised actually. I try to keep my tank super clean but those fish are just messy little critters.

I love good quotes. I have a ton of them. Anything that makes me stop and think is great! I just googled 'Awaken the Giant Within' that looks like an amazing conference. Anytime you can take an opportunity to improve yourself you gotta take it.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you take the top off and turn it upside down (disconnect the tubes), you'll find it.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds like quite the macgyver cleaning mission! IM IN!

Mr Lombardi's words of wisdom are some of my favs.

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Vince Lombardi

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sounds like quite the macgyver cleaning mission! IM IN!

Mr Lombardi's words of wisdom are some of my favs.

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Vince Lombardi
VERY good quote!!

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Jaysee, I'll open it up and see what all I can break!

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CHoffman, takin a page from your book and changin my sig

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I need to change mine also. I have had that quote on there for a couple of months now.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I ripped the canister apart, cleaned the impeller, housing, hoses, the intake pipe in the tank, spray bar, restacked all the media in the canister put her back together and all seemed well. Yesterday I got a new fish(who I'll post a pic of later) so I did about a 30 gallon water change and switched up all the caves and plants. This morning I get up and see that the water flow is much weaker and my canister has less than 1\2 inch of air at the top of the canister. Ive read through a ton of searches on other forums, even all the FAQ's on Rena's website...all to no avail. Any suggestions from anyone?

Im really curious to see if there is an exploded view of the canister? I still have the instructions it came with that shows what order the media should be stacked, but Im wondering about a possible seal letting air in or a missing rubber grommet.

Happy Saturday!

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's possible there is a defect.....

How are your hoses? You;ll get the greatest waterflow when the water has a direct route. If your hoses are too long, that'll slow things up and prevent the air from escaping.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I cut off all excess and made a clean straight route behind my tank. I took everything out, repacked, made sure the gromett around the top was snug. Seems to be running a lot better...but it always does for a few days and then peters out.

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry your having so many problems. Hopefully this time it will continue to run good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom