help with my pleco

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bryce1217, Dec 17, 2012.

1. b

bryce1217 Valued Member Member

my pleco is flopping around on the bottom and seems to have trouble swimming. he looks fine. he doesnt have cloudy eyes or any scrapes. i think it may be a regular pleco. it was on sale and it wasnt labeled. the women just called it a pleco and she told me it maxed out at 5 inches. i got it and it cleaned my tank. he started acting funny so i put some algae wafers in there. so now he is turning back flips. no joke. please help.

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Did you acclimate him or just throw him in? Could be a big shock/change in temperature, PH etc...

3. OP
    OP
    b

ive had him for about 2 weeks. i did acclimate him.

4. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

What size tank is he in, and what are the parameters? Tank mates? Anything else that could be relevant? I hope he is okay.

5. OP
    OP
    b

he is in a 10 gallon. he is only about 4 inches long.he is in there with 3 bloodfin tetras. i use test strips so this isnt going to be accurite. i could find the api master tester anywhere except amazon.
    nitrate~0
    nitrite~.5
    alkalinity~between 80 and 120
    hardness~very soft
    p.h.~7.6
    i planned on moving him to a bigger tank in the future once he gets bigger.

6. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

You didn't say what your ammonia was, but nitrites should be zero. Do a big water change, like 50% or more. Make sure the water you refill the tank with is the same temp as the tank water. If you don't have an extra thermometer, check it with your hand at least.

7. OP
    OP
    b

i have test strips so they arent accurite and my nitrite was between 0 and .5. so i will do a big water change. i just moved him to my 2.5 gallon qt tank. i put an algae wafer in there with him. he is sitting on the bottom and just barely breathing. he does twitch a little when you tap the tank. thats it though.

8. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Don't keep overfeeding him. That will only dirty your tank. And try not to crowd him in a small tank. Turn the lights off, give him room and don't tap the glass. Stressing him will kill him.

9. OP
    OP
    b

i just checked on him and his dorsal fin is raised the highest ive ever seen. he was trying to swim but everytime he tries he falls back on his back. he starts to swim but the he slowly glides on his back then sinks to the bottom. he currently has a betta in the qt tank with him.

10. OP
    OP
    b

just finished the 50 percent water change. he is still breathing.

11. OP
    OP
    b

he passed away... :(

12. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

Oh, I'm so sorry you lost him. Don't let it set you back. There must have been something very wrong with him. It's hard right now, but it was probably for the best.

13. OP
    OP
    b

yeah. thanks. but when i got him i noticed a big white spot on his back. i thought it was normal. thanks!

14. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Your tank was WAY too small for a pleco of that size, and if he was a common Pleco they max out at 1-2 FEET long. Common Pleco's need a 55 gallon... your tank was WAY overstocked. The only thing you can keep in a 10gal is a betta or 6 schooling fish like danios or tetras. Sorry to hear about your loss, but it's a good learning experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice