help with my pleco

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryce1217

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my pleco is flopping around on the bottom and seems to have trouble swimming. he looks fine. he doesnt have cloudy eyes or any scrapes. i think it may be a regular pleco. it was on sale and it wasnt labeled. the women just called it a pleco and she told me it maxed out at 5 inches. i got it and it cleaned my tank. he started acting funny so i put some algae wafers in there. so now he is turning back flips. no joke. please help.

Mmbrown

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What size tank is he in, and what are the parameters? Tank mates? Anything else that could be relevant? I hope he is okay.

OP
B

bryce1217

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
he is in a 10 gallon. he is only about 4 inches long.he is in there with 3 bloodfin tetras. i use test strips so this isnt going to be accurite. i could find the api master tester anywhere except amazon.
nitrate~0
nitrite~.5
alkalinity~between 80 and 120
hardness~very soft
p.h.~7.6
i planned on moving him to a bigger tank in the future once he gets bigger.

OP
B

bryce1217

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i have test strips so they arent accurite and my nitrite was between 0 and .5. so i will do a big water change. i just moved him to my 2.5 gallon qt tank. i put an algae wafer in there with him. he is sitting on the bottom and just barely breathing. he does twitch a little when you tap the tank. thats it though.

OP
B

bryce1217

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i just checked on him and his dorsal fin is raised the highest ive ever seen. he was trying to swim but everytime he tries he falls back on his back. he starts to swim but the he slowly glides on his back then sinks to the bottom. he currently has a betta in the qt tank with him.

Mrs.Price

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank was WAY too small for a pleco of that size, and if he was a common Pleco they max out at 1-2 FEET long. Common Pleco's need a 55 gallon... your tank was WAY overstocked. The only thing you can keep in a 10gal is a betta or 6 schooling fish like danios or tetras. Sorry to hear about your loss, but it's a good learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom