Help with my pitifully planted tank? 65 Gallon Tank

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

It ALWAYS looks so much better in my head and then I get everything together and done and I get this.
    Any help with filling in the spaces. I always have issues getting the dimension I'd like. I have more or less wrote it off as not having a 3-D background so I can sleep at night ;)

I just have a really hard time making things flow the way I would like them too. I have two 25 watt florescent max plant growth lights, it also gets some natural light during the day. I have some fluorite mixed in with my gravel. Looking for lower light plants, I don't have a Co2 injector but do add carbon & iron (melon plant)

My oriental fern is not doing well as you can probably tell from the picture, LFS sold me a snail that was spose to help clean my plants but maybe I misheard and they said clean out my plants haha. They're coming back from that...

So in a nut shell, I picture this in my head:
    http://www.thesdip.com/wp-content/u...h-Tanks-Green-Natural-Water-Plants-Design.jpg

& Then I get this when I'm finished lol
    [​IMG]

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'd look into adding something for a ground cover. I'm not sure how tall the plant in the center is, but you could look into dwarf sag or maybe even some of the cryptocorynes that stay smallish - like the wendtii.

For the picture you displayed as what you really want, the glosso won't work out but definitely adding something for the foreground would be good.

Another plant to look into is Staurogyne repens.

I'd almost take out whatever that top plant is (hornwort, or something?) - though that is just me... you may have a purpose for it - like having less light go through or maybe for some fish.

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Your tank looks pretty close to what most initially planted tanks look like before everything has a chance to fill in. With a month or two of good growth that tank would look good. But I don't know how much growth you will get based on your very limited lighting, unless you are getting quite a bit of natural light. I don't think you can afford to have so many floating plants if you want the lower ones to do well though, they block the light.

I do agree with the previous poster and would suggest adding something in the foreground.

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Hello :)

Hornwort will be removed, Before I planted I was dealing with BG Algae (was leaving my lights on all day) So Hornwort really helped with that & lessening the light cycle. But will probably be relocated into my 30 gallon. Because it definitely takes light from the others, As for the link I just like how natural and the dimension it has to it.

I moved the wood in more to hug the melon plant and was going to try to add some stem plants (possibly some temple plants?) behind and along the side of the driftwood on the left?

Was going to try to Angle the wood on the right to be a little more snug around the plants and maybe add a stem plant back there?

For the foreground Staurogyne repens would be nice but I don't think I will be able to find any, so thought I would try crypt wendtii

Do you think my lighting would be too subdued to try and grow Water Wysteria for one of my stem plants? Hard with the deeper tanks trying to find the right plants for the depth and light in the tank.
    _Fried_Bettas_ do you think with those additions it would fill in more nicely? or any more recommendations?

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I would try what you mentioned so far and then give it some time to just grow. The hornwort can be anchored to the substrate and grown as a normal plant if you want to find some use for it.

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yeah i tried to anchor it & it drove me absolutely crazy so a few people on here advised i should free float it. I'm use to grassy or broadleaf plants, so Hornworts quite a difference compared to my usual. I can be the most inpatient person ever but will take your advice and just sit back and let the plants grow :)

In the meantime probably be a good idea to start by moving the Hornwort.. Thanks for your recommendations :)

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

[​IMG]
    So I've made a little bit of progress, waiting for the Hornwort to perk up and fill the left side and am going to get Java moss to cover the Manzanita Branches, also some small crypts for ground cover, waiting for the LFS to get both in. Thought it would be more of a drastic difference, but think its still looking better, yeah? My Angels seem to like it they left me a present on my Melon Plant, lucky me.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Looks great! Just have to let the plants fill in. Crypts will look nice in there. :) Pennywort would be another nice stem plant for your setup. Four Leaf Clover is another good foreground plant. It would be slower growing like the Crypts.

Your Angels are lovely.

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

Thanks AlyeskaGirl :D

Waiting is definitely the hard part!! And as for the Angels their 'lovely' a few days out of the month, the other days their absolute terrors,( while breeding, of course) I have a fake sword plant I shield myself with anytime I have to clean the tank. Thankfully they were extra cooperative today :)

10. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Something to note, crypts will often sit there for awhile and not grow, and then get settled in and go through a growth spurt. But they really need root tabs to reach their potential.

The 4 leaf clover just mentioned does the same. When I first got some I almost gave up after 2 months of it ever doing much, then suddenly it overtook the tank like a weed.

11. Crissandra331 Member Member

Root tabs added to the list. :)
    I actually aquired this one red crypt in the roots of my Melon Plant, had 2 leaves that were eaten out by pond snails. Planted it in some Fluorite & about a month started to settle and grow some new leaves :)

12. fishman99 Initiate Member

Doesn't look that pitiful.

13. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

It is highly unlikely that the snails ate your crypts, I have snails and crypts all over and neither ever eats the other. Although it would be really cool if the plant ate the snails. They usually only eat dead plant matter, it is more likely that your crypts had a deficiency in ferts for the amount of light available.

14. Crissandra331 Member Member

No, what was done to them was definitely by pest snails and it occurred in the LFS tank, they were a tangled in the roots of a larger plant I bought from them, I examined them before I added them and was unsure they could be saved but growing pretty well now. I've only had them about a month and a half.

15. escapay Well Known Member Member

The changes you've done are good - liking the look mostly now. Can't wait to see how the other details will look when those happen.

I'd almost move the branches (I know you already did) from the middle to probably the left side of the tank. I'd keep them in the same cluster you have them like that - but rotate them so the tallest one is at the most left of the tank. Right now they are too centered, and though they do give a nice angle for the whole left side of the tank - the right side then has the taller plant pretty much even with it. Could help "cover" the heater as well.

With the above change, I don't think you'd necessarily need to add anything else to the center background as then you'll have some angles there. Also, the right background plant will probably spread more and you could easily have it fill in the background there. :) Not the whole background though like before.

(I should make my own post for this - I've found it eye-opening and could get some ideas for my own tanks. :eek:)