Help with my next tank! Nano pea/dwarf puffer tank

1. g

g25racer Valued Member Member

I was at a local very large fish store. The biggest in my state I believe. And saw a beautiful rimless nano tank setup with 6 pea puffers and was heavily planted. Anyways I fell in love! Such a small yet beautiful tank.

I should have just bought it but, the equipment wasn't exactly in good shape. So I am going to slowly start putting one together.

Any ideas on a tank? Was thinking about the fluval spec III. But, would the filter and light be sufficient?

Assuming I should use a slim heater?

As for plants I need to do a bit more research before I ask questions. I have only ever kept swords and wisteria. And I have never done a full on planted tank with proper substrate and ferts.

Just trying to get some ideas and a list going.

I know for sure I want a few pea puffers and assuming I could get away with some shrimp as well.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm pretty sure that tank is too small for multiple pea puffers. Maybe you can have one in there but since they love to explore and are messy fish, I would get at least a 20g if you plan on having more than a couple.

3. SmilingJocker

SmilingJocker Valued Member Member

The general rule for pea puffers is 10 gallons for the first one and then an additional 5 gallons for each additional puffer.
    They are extremely aggressive and territorial so they need lots of space even though they are really small. Plus, make sure you have enough plants and or decorations to make sure they will not see each other.
    Shrimps will probably end up being snacks for them.
    The only fish that is 'sort of' guaranteed to work with them are the otocinclus catfish.
    But they are really fascinating from what I've heard and should be really fun to keep!