Help with my kuhli loach

SummerLeigh

I've had a kuhli loach for about 2 years now and he has been healthy and active. No problems or illnesses. He was a surrender at my local pet store so I'm not sure how old he was before I got him. I've been noticing that he has been getting pretty round in the belly area. He is in a 30 gal planted tank. Parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. Temp is 80. He is still very active and acts no different just fat. Looking for some insight as to what could be going on. He is in the tank with 6 cory cats, a bristlenose pleco, a few mystery snails, a female betta and some buenos aires tetras ( which I'm looking to move to another tank)

GoldenMullet

I can't think of anything that would be wrong. I have several kuhlis that are a bit chubby. Just keep an eye on him. He's probably just full, maybe a little backed up. But if he's actin normal, I wouldn't be too worried. I could always be wrong, so just wait for some others to respond

YellowGuppy

SummerLeigh said:
I've had a kuhli loach for about 2 years now and he has been healthy and active. No problems or illnesses. He was a surrender at my local pet store so I'm not sure how old he was before I got him. I've been noticing that he has been getting pretty round in the belly area. He is in a 30 gal planted tank. Parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. Temp is 80. He is still very active and acts no different just fat. Looking for some insight as to what could be going on. He is in the tank with 6 cory cats, a bristlenose pleco, a few mystery snails, a female betta and some buenos aires tetras ( which I'm looking to move to another tank)
Any time a critter is getting a little round in the belly, I can't help but wonder if "he" is in fact a "she". I've never owned kuhlis, but there are a good number of fish in which females get bigger bellies!

OiFisho

SummerLeigh said:
If the Kuhli Loach is backed up then you should thaw a pea and try to feed it to the loach, I've heard this helps a lot. I have tried it once, and the pea was never eaten and the fish died anyways, but it was just a tetra and it was its first day so I assume he died of other causes. All the tetras I had in there died too and all other fish seemed to be fine so I don't think it was the pea. RIP Alex, Pablo, and Francisco, they sucked as fish and died as they lived, boring.

Sorry, at first I replied to the wrong person

SummerLeigh

OiFisho said:
If the Kuhli Loach is backed up then you should thaw a pea and try to feed it to the loach, I've heard this helps a lot. I have tried it once, and the pea was never eaten and the fish died anyways, but it was just a tetra and it was its first day so I assume he died of other causes. All the tetras I had in there died too and all other fish seemed to be fine so I don't think it was the pea. RIP Alex, Pablo, and Francisco, they sucked as fish and died as they lived, boring.

Sorry, at first I replied to the wrong person
So I've kept watch as best I can because my kuhli loach likes to hide all the time and I'm trying to get a picture now but he/she is making it difficult but his/her stomach looks to e slightly bigger and today I noticed his/her skin has wounds now. It wasn't like that 3 days ago.

Latest threads

Top Bottom