Help with my external filter please

ScottyNPT

Reaction score
Hey guys I have recently posted that I have recently set up my external filter it has been running alongside my internal filter for about 3 days now, I did replace the blue sponge from the external filter with one from my internal filter to keep the good bacteria. What I want to know is this enough to take my internal filter out?. My external filter just has
carbon media, white pads, ceramic ball media and the blue course sponge. My internal filter has the green sponge and the different blue sponge(can’t remember the name) can I also add these into the new filter so I don’t loose the good bacteria? Help guys thanks! :D

OP
ScottyNPT

ScottyNPT

Reaction score
Ok so just keep them both running you think?
StarGirl said:
I would run it for at least a few weeks.
ok so keep them both running you think?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ScottyNPT said:
Ok so just keep them both running you think?

ok so keep them both running you think?
Yeah I would for about a month. Let it good and seeded. I know I get antsy too when I want something out of my tank. I have ugly old sponge filters in mine that I hate just for emergencies.

OP
ScottyNPT

ScottyNPT

Reaction score
Haha ye I just want to get it out will free up so much more space in my tank! But I don’t want to rush it
StarGirl said:
Yeah I would for about a month. Let it good and seeded. I know I get antsy too when I want something out of my tank. I have ugly old sponge filters in mine that I hate just for emergencies.
haha ye I just want it out will free up so much space in my tank! But I don’t want to rush it.

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What model external -canister filter do you have? I would add all the media from the internal except the charcoal and then there is no need to keep it going as the new external is now cycled.

OP
ScottyNPT

ScottyNPT

Reaction score
Donthemon said:
What model external -canister filter do you have? I would add all the media from the internal except the charcoal and then there is no need to keep it going as the new external is now cycled.
I have the betta choice 700 UV, should I add the green sponge and the other blue sponge and keep the ceramic balls in there?

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can put it all in the external there's no need to keep the internal going.

OP
ScottyNPT

ScottyNPT

Reaction score
GlennO said:
If you can put it all in the external there's no need to keep the internal going.
so just cut the sponges up and put them in the external? Because the internal sponges are thick

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom