Help with moving fish to 25g tank

1. bellababy Initiate Member

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right place. I am a newbie(1 year now) I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 5 cories, 3 guppies and 3 mollys as well as 2 mystery snails and 3 rabbit snails. I also have a 4 1/2 gallon with 1 male betta, 6 neon tetra's and a baby bn pleco and a 1.5 gallon with 6 baby platies. I have recently purchased a 25 gallon tank and in preparation have included extra filter media's and filers in my other tanks for the past 2-3 months. My 10 gallon has an aquaclear 50, Aquaclear 30, Toms mini canister 80 as well as extra sponges and bio rings. My 4 1/2 gallon has a wisper I- 20 filter with extra sponges and bio rings and my 1.5 gallon has a sponge filter with extra sponges in the tank. I want to set up my 25 gallon with the extra filter sponges and bio rings with the aquaclear 50 and the Toms mini canister. Any estimate on how long I should wait before I can move fish into it?

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

Well first try to cycle it, adding TSS (Tetra Safe Start) Should help that a bunch. One of my cycling secrets is to put some of the gravel for your new tank in a tub and leave it in one of your stable tanks for a while.
    One thing I think you should do is take some of the fish out of your other tanks and put it in the new one. 6 Neon Tetra in a 4.5 is a seriously tight squeeze, and the pleco will outgrow that tank faster that you can believe possible. You've probably already heard all this before, I know, it's annoying, but it's really important. Take some fish out of all your tanks and put them in the new one :) Perhaps take the corys, the tetras, the pleco, and the platy fry (If they're big enough) and move them in the new tank one by one once it's cycled.
    I recommend moving the tetras in it first, then after two weeks the cories, then after another two weeks the pleco.
    I wish you good luck on your tank! Please post pics when it's done! :)

3. bellababy Initiate Member

Thank you so much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

Welcome :)