Help with moving fish to 25g tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bellababy, Jun 11, 2016.

1. bellababyNew MemberMember

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right place. I am a newbie(1 year now) I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 5 cories, 3 guppies and 3 mollys as well as 2 mystery snails and 3 rabbit snails. I also have a 4 1/2 gallon with 1 male betta, 6 neon tetra's and a baby bn pleco and a 1.5 gallon with 6 baby platies. I have recently purchased a 25 gallon tank and in preparation have included extra filter media's and filers in my other tanks for the past 2-3 months. My 10 gallon has an aquaclear 50, Aquaclear 30, Toms mini canister 80 as well as extra sponges and bio rings. My 4 1/2 gallon has a wisper I- 20 filter with extra sponges and bio rings and my 1.5 gallon has a sponge filter with extra sponges in the tank. I want to set up my 25 gallon with the extra filter sponges and bio rings with the aquaclear 50 and the Toms mini canister. Any estimate on how long I should wait before I can move fish into it?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  2. Nicoldeme

NicoldemeValued MemberMember

Well first try to cycle it, adding TSS (Tetra Safe Start) Should help that a bunch. One of my cycling secrets is to put some of the gravel for your new tank in a tub and leave it in one of your stable tanks for a while.
    One thing I think you should do is take some of the fish out of your other tanks and put it in the new one. 6 Neon Tetra in a 4.5 is a seriously tight squeeze, and the pleco will outgrow that tank faster that you can believe possible. You've probably already heard all this before, I know, it's annoying, but it's really important. Take some fish out of all your tanks and put them in the new one :) Perhaps take the corys, the tetras, the pleco, and the platy fry (If they're big enough) and move them in the new tank one by one once it's cycled.
    I recommend moving the tetras in it first, then after two weeks the cories, then after another two weeks the pleco.
    I wish you good luck on your tank! Please post pics when it's done! :)

3. OP
    OP
    b

bellababyNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

4. Nicoldeme

NicoldemeValued MemberMember

Welcome :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice