Help with Misc Plants

1. Jon Well Known Member Member

At petco i have bought 2 plants

one of which has long slender thick leaves of dark green and stems of brown... this one is getting brown marks on the leaves
    the other has bright green wide leaves and green stems but it is getting a bit yellow

both are 12" or so tall

if neone could identify these plants for me it would help... also i would like advice on keeping the healthy such as what types of substrates or whatever to use

PS thanks for making this forum

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

3. Jon Well Known Member Member

thank you i havnet found it yet but i think i might be killing them by adding salt to the water to help my livebearers... ill try to get a new tank to put them in and see how they do w/o salt any suggestions on general plant keeping would be nice

4. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, make sure the plant is attached to something - you can do anything from an actual plant pot to driftwood to a sand substrate. Another thing to do is make sure you have sufficient lighting - hard to determine without knowing the actual plant's name. You should also be sure to supplement the water with plant 'food', which is basically a mineral solution to help the plant grow and is entirely safe for the fish :)

5. Jon Well Known Member Member

thank you for the advice i was being an idiot when i bought these plants but i am going to petsmart tomorow to buy some plant food and a peice of driftwood + some java grass ty for the advice i will keep my light on as much as possible... is it possible to overlight your plants?

6. Marc Well Known Member Member

Well, it's possible to overlight your fish! :)

Most plants sold at PetCo/PetSmart are hardy (cheaper too!) so I wouldn't worry about light too much.

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

be careful when buyin plants at petco/mart because they sell plants that arent aquatic! :mad: :mad: :mad: do research before going and decide what you want beforehand...I bought a non-aquatic plant from them and it died :mad:

8. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol but if u bought a non-aquatic plant wouldnt it kinda not be in a tank when you bought it? how did that happen lol

ty for the advice i moved the plant so the leaves are in better lighting and i think they will be fine

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Well they can survive for a little while (some tougher ones up to a year) in a tank, but eventually die from lack of sufficient oxygen (similar to watering a potted plant too much, and killing it)
    yes it was in a tank when i bought it :(

10. Jon Well Known Member Member

since when do plants need sufficient oxygen? when they photosynthesize they take C02 and break water and set off oxygen ... but yeah id guess they would die after a while in a tank

11. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

but terrestrial plants are different from aquatic plants. They have different oxygen needs ;)
    Aquatic plants are "built" for water but terrestrials are made for the air.

12. Jon Well Known Member Member

yeah but what i was saying is that terrestrial plants dont really need 02 they need C02 and water... could u make a fish tank full of water and terrestrial plants and put alka-seltzer in it? or would that just turn the water into carbonic acid and kill all of the plants?

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

LOL
    sorry :D :D :D I mean carbon dioxide not oxygen :D :D

14. Jon Well Known Member Member

oh lol now i get what ure saying

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

hehehe

16. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Like Marc said - plantgeek.net - they have a ton of info on aquatic plants. Figure out how many watts per gallon you currently have and try to find some plants that would grow well under your current lighting setup. Plantgeek has a neat browse by category in the plant guide that will give you some good ideas for plants to go with your current lighting levels as well as how much CO2 they need.

17. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Most chain stores order their plants not by name but as a bunch and frequently get non-aquatic plants in the bunch. Most chain store employees don't know one plant from another so will sell you whatever is in the tank as aquatic because they don't know any better.
    Terrestrial plants will survive in the tank for a varying amunt of time but will eventually die and foul your tank.
    www.plantgeek.net is a great place to research your plants and there is even a non-aquatic section in their plant profiles that would be helpful to look at before plant shopping ;)
    Carol

18. Jon Well Known Member Member

i think i have an argentine sword which is not posted on plant geek to my knowledge and the other one is still unknown... i found a good lfs with plants and tons of fish... its amazing... goodbye petco and its crappy unlabled random plants

19. off-ice Initiate Member

Hey Jon,

The problem with common names is they can vary depending on location. What I may know by one name, butterfly may know as another. It's always best to try and get the plants Sci name. Then there will be no doubt as to what you have and it's care.

When we were doing the non aquatic list in the plantguide, we concentrated on the most commonly sold. I am sure there are others out there, and we are happy to add them as needed or requested.

If there is any chance you can get a picture or the Sci name, I may be able to help you out.

20. Jon Well Known Member Member

im sorry i see what you mean, ive tried but i cannot find out this plant's scientific name