Help With Mangroves

1. MLBJ

MLBJ Valued Member Member

I purchased some mangroves before and put them in my brackish 90g tank. They never did anything. I'm guessing that has to do with the fact they were completely submerged at all times...

I started keeping mudskippers recently, and I'm in love. I ordered more mangroves, and this time they came in looking much better. Established roots, leaves at the top, healthy stalks, etc. I stuck some in the sand in my skipper tank, others in the water, most of plant out of the water in both cases, and hoped for the best. In a few weeks, the leaves dropped, and it was clear they aren't thriving.

I contacted seller for advice, and while none was provided, he did provide me with a fresh new crop! I have a new, larger skip tank setup.
    - any advice on making mangroves thrive?
    - should i try and revive old batch? Or trash? Leaves gone, but i think roots and stalks are ok with some.

I enclosed a picture of my current setup, which is inhabited by two indian mudskippers, as well as the new habitat.
    I intend to put a baby archer or two in the water (yes, i own a larger brackish tank they can move into if they outgrow that setup). On the fence as to whether i want to keep my lil skips where they are and use new habitat for larger African skips, or just stick with the Indians, move them over to larger habitat and add a few more of the same.

Any wisdom from your past experiences (with mangroves, Indian skips, African skips, and differences between the two are welcome!) 4f7e6a1bc7e36b17399a2380d3421903.jpg 8fd2b2d1fd0d71075a1600b5f68863cc.jpg

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Do the plants have proper fertilization, they are heavy root feeders, what is your lighting? Temp?

3. OP
    OP
    MLBJ

They don't have anything yet. Had them less than a day, they're sitting in the water of the new tank right now. They will be planted in sand. Is there anything you'd recommend mixing in in terms of substrate/chemical to fertilize?

4. Tyler Fishman

Aquarium Brands sell aquarium fertalizers, I use osmocote indoor and outdoor however, again what is your lighting and tempature? Did you use fertilizer on your old mangrove trees that withered?

5. OP
    OP
    MLBJ

Temp is high. Using a high power water heater to keep ambient temperature and humidity high. Water temp is probably 90, air temp 80 (again, no inhabitants yet)

Lighting is nothing special. Just LED. plenty for viewing. Insufficient for mangrove?

The tank is one of a kind someone made from scratch. 30"x30". I have a 30" t5 fixture w two bulbs in it. Should i put it over that tank?

6. Tyler Fishman

I would, seeing as how they are in they are in the proper kelvin rating for plants and produce a good amount of vegative growth I would say yes