Help With Maintaining Plants

1. muntedtoe Member Member

Hi all so Iv recently gone from fake plants to live plants.
    I was dosing the tank with flourish excel about 2 or 3 times a week.

Some plants died and I have replaced them yesterday and want to give this another crack.

So my tank is a juwel rio and it's about 11 months old so lights should be good( highlight day 54W x 4 lights)
    I just have gravel so no dirt.

I don't want to go C02 I just something low tech.I have no idea what plants I have apart from java fern and java moss and Anubis the rest I have no idea.
    Will flourish excel be enough?

So how would you look after this? Picture below
    IMG_4915.jpg

Attached Files:

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

You are using way to much fertilizer. I only use it once very 2 weeks, I also use root tabs which are time release, API and Seachem make good root tabs

3. Zahc Well Known Member Member

I think you are mistaking Seachem excel for Seachem flourish comprehensive. Excel is a liquid carbon supplement, that can be added daily. Flourish comp is an all round liquid fertiliser, though it contains mostly micro nutrients and very little macros (N,P and K). Flourish comp can be used up to 2 times a week.

As to the OP, with lighting that high and no injected C02 im going to say you will need to be really careful, and have a short photo-period if you are after low tech, otherwise algae has a good chance. I wont ID the plants, ill let someone else take care of that. You might find if you are stocked heavy enough, you won't need to add any liquid fertiliser (spotting a deficiency isn't to difficult though if you do end up needing some form of fertiliser), though any heavy root feeding plants (really anything that's buried into the gravel) will need a root tab of some sort placed underneath/next to them.

4. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Excel is liquid co2 and not a fert... likely with your plant selection daily dosing for now is a good choice, helping keep algae at bay.

For the plants you have chosen I wouldn't recommend flourish... instead get either thrive by nilocg, or UNS plant food. Both have a higher NPK ration then flourish.

I would also add root tabs at the bases of the crypts and the alternanthera. (Could also be a ludwigia, no close up shot, pic gets too blurry when I enlarge... root tab by that as well)

For your lighting, you say it's 54w... recently lighting has changed vs watts per gallon to PAR (just an fyi). Do you have any more info on the lighting? Brand? Color temp?
    How many hours a day do you run the lights? All four tubes at once?
    I use leds not tubes so I can't help you that much with the lighting, but it does sound like a lot... until we figure out more details on the lighting I would keep them on for no longer then six hrs right now... likely you may have to turn one or two tubes off....

If you post a close up of each plant we can help with the IDs

Nice looking tank by the way!

5. Vichu Member Member

First and foremost you have high light setup hence you need injected co2 or reduce your light...So you can keep low tech setup with oly excel as daily carbon source.

I would suggest get some root tabs under root feeders as well as go for individual liquid fertilizer regime rather than all in one.

At the EOD all of this depends upon your water parameter that you use in your tank and plants you want to keep.

6. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Just to clarify, an all in one fert is a liquid fert containing Marcos and micros (all in one) it does not ever replace root tabs.