Help with Macro algae

Jamesjohnson28

Reaction score
I am starting my first saltwater tank. I have a aqua clear 70 with no media running to help with flow and wanted to know should i put the macro algae in the tank or in the filter. I saw videos of people using it in the filter but not sure whats better. If it does go in the filter do i need to add a second light so the filter will have light over it?

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Filter normally. Some people on budget builds like to convert their aquaclears to a fuge...which is what I'd suggest. Theres plenty of youtube guides on how to DIY this. You pretty much just cut up and glue the included basket to create an enclosed area for chaeto/macro. If you put the algae in the main tank it'll spread throughout over time and become a major pain. Do you have any mechanical media? A lot of folks like to have something to physically remove detritus and other poopy things from the main tank.
You would need to add a second light...preferably a grow light (the purpleish looking light) to stimulate growth. Im not getting into the specifics of spectrum here but certain algaes perfer certain spectrums for optimal growth. BRSTV has multiple videos on this. I personally just use a 25w plant grow light and see at least double the growth per month on my chaeto.
Quick side note. fuge's with algae generally prefer a lower flow...say...probably 50gph-100gph if youre running a tank with an ac 70. I'm just getting at fuges like that slooooww flow.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would recommend the filter/refugium as Macro Algae can overrun a display tank if you don't stay on top of it. As mentioned above certain HOB Filters (ie Fluval aka Aquaclear) can easily be modified to create a refugium. All that is needed besides the mod is a cheap grow light.

Jamesjohnson28

Reaction score
Thanks for the help i went ahead and converted my AC70 and added filter floss and a coarse pad on the side where the water comes in. Can i add some of my smaller live rock to the bottom before i add the macro algae?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the help i went ahead and converted my AC70 and added filter floss and a coarse pad on the side where the water comes in. Can i add some of my smaller live rock to the bottom before i add the macro algae?
I would recommend it actually. Chaeto Macro Algae tends to do best when having some parts tethered to live rock. So a couple of small pieces should work well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom