help with Lops

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

The fiance is allergic to cats and we can't own a dog here. As sad as this is, it did open me up to the fish world. Now that I have my fish, she wants a rabbit, and has convinced me to get one. She wants a lop, either Mini or Holland. I believe Hollands are the smallest right? Just looking to see if anyone on here has experience with any of these and would make any recommendations for us. Thanks

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I used to work at an animal hospital and saw plenty of bunnies, plus I had six at one time. :)

Holland lops are the ones you usually see at pet stores, with the ears that droop down. They're not the smallest of the rabbit breeds, but they're on the smaller end. At full grown, our largest ones were smaller than football-sized, roughly the size of a Nerf football (though I'm sure they come in different sizes, so that's probably a bad comparison). Less than a foot long, roughly five-ish pounds if I remember correctly.

Rabbits make awesome pets. Like fish, no one realizes how personable they are. We got a small fence-type thing (like a dog pen) for them to get some exercise each night; if you sat down in it they would hop up to you, sniff you, nuzzle your elbows, and sit in your lap. They definitely have attitudes too; if you don't get them back in their cages quickly enough for their salad at night, they'll thump just like the rabbit in Bambi (but only once or twice).

They're definitely not too big (there are cat-sized rabbits out there), but they do need a sizeable cage to stretch out in, and they need time out of their cage daily to get some exercise. They should have unlimited access to hay, a small amount of kibble each day, and a very small amount of fresh greens. Against popular belief, rabbits like more than carrots! My vet always taught that the size of their body should be the amount of hay available, the size of their head is the amount of kibble they get fed, and the size of their ears is fresh vegetables. We've always fed 1/4 of kibble each day and had happy, healthy bunnies.

Sorry for the rambling, but hope that answers some questions! :)

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I had two Mini Lops. They were great :) Very cat like. They can be litter trained so that they can have free roam of the house (or a section of the house), and can learn to come when called, and even to fetch.

They'll need to be brushed at least once a week (I used a store brand wire cat slicker), have a staple diet of a good pellet (I used Nutrena), hay, and fresh veggies and fruit.

If being kept in a cage, they'll need something to get off the wires, like a towel (replaces and washed often), a piece of thick paper or card board, etc.

Also, rabbits "throw" their coats once a year or so, meaning, they shed worse than a long hair black dog in summer. @.@

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Those are good points (that I should have made). We've never had a problem with rabbits not going in their boxes. It makes clean-up much easier! And making sure they're not sitting on the bare grate is very important, it can cause damage to their feet and haunches (calluses and even bleeding in severe cases). We actually don't use grates, they just sit on the plastic bottom of the cage, but we're (okay, my mom is) diligent about keeping their cages clean.

Of course, if you do let them out to roam around (not in a small confined area), you'll have to make sure your abode is rabbit-proof, as they love to chew on remote control buttons, electrical cords, shirts, blankets, carpeting, wood... basically everything :) Their teeth never stop growing, so they have to continually chew things to keep them at a manageable length. Hay helps with this, which is another reason why it's so important :)

Another note on food, rabbits have extremely sensitive digestive systems. Unlike fish, a varied diet is very bad for rabbits. "I give him one of these treats every once in awhile" usually leads to bad results. They like a nice consistent diet. :)

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The trick to a rabbits diet is giving the right foods ;) I gave my rabbits veggies and the occasional fruit all the time, and they never had tummy troubles. Nothing acidic, too fleshy, and too high in sugar and starch, that is the key :) My girls also loved those yogurt treats. They liked the chips (just all yogurt) over the yogurt covered pellets. But, they had a major sweet tooth, so that could have just been them LOL

6. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I have a male Dutch rabbit. Really awesome. I use oxbow pellets. Fresh vegetables daily and hay available at all times.

Akari, Is yogurt good for them. I don't recall bunnies eating a yogurt. :;bn

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The yogurt treats are made by Kaytee. I buy them at WalMart. They're made for runny-babbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc. They really liked them. I'd have to watch my fingers when I gave them by hand LOL

These:

http://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Fiesta...68WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333933606&sr=8-1

They've changed the packaging in the last year since I've bought them lol

I'm used to them looking like this:

http://www.kaytee.com/assets/015/28325_400wh.jpg

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Oxbow is the best! We feed our rabbits nothing but. (We get 50-lb boxes of hay...)

We've also fed our rabbits the yogurt drops, but then they got fat so we feed them dried mango chunks now instead. :)

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My girls never got fat, expect when I fed them a lot during the winter (they were out side rabbits). Even then, it wasn't *too* fat. Just kind chubby, to help them keep warm. They got out almost every day to run in the yard with the dogs =3

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh we've never kept outside rabbits. Then again, I live in Chicago :) ours get "bunny time" which is exercise in the family room every night.

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Mom wouldn't let them live indoors. We got them full grown, and they were already living out side, so I did what I could to spoil them the best I could =3

My girls loved interacting with the dogs! Didn't have much to do with me unless I have food XD They weren't very social when I first got them, so I bribed them to like me with food. I guess we never got too much further than that LOL

:giggle:

13. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Our bunnies are really mostly my mom's. We each "have" one, but she takes care of them the most (I no longer live there), so they're basically hers.

Our cats are afraid of our bunnies :) They're much more headstrong than people think. We (at one point, unfortunately we've lost a few to old age) had five lops and a jersey wooly (mine :3 ).

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Any living creature other than a child that comes into the house is "mine" (though, mom has gotten really attached to one of my bettas and my Mali Uromastyx LOL), so I care for 3 dogs, all the fish tanks, Rex (the Mali), and before the died, the bunnies. Actually, right now, as I'm away at school, mom takes care of the tanks in my sig, except the 5.5, and the dogs and Rex, which is why she's getting to like some of them lol She's even thinking about a pond, so I think she's taking to my goldfish too LOL

Oh yeah. My girls would take on my 130 pound Rott mix LOL He's charge them, trying to get them riled up like he does to the other dogs, and they'd just stare at him like ".... Really?" :;laughing

15. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

wow, for a forum that gets very little feedback (guess it is a fish site) I'm surprised, and grateful for all the posts. I haven't even read them yet. I have been posting other threads and noticed i had 13 responses already. Wow! thanks, I'll get to reading them now

16. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Hope you find something useful :)

17. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

well, we found ourselves a mini lop! finding out all the details tomorrow and will pick it up this weekend! will post a pic and keep you updated. thanks again for the advice

18. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

holy cute

Here's Buster! our new mini lop. only 10 weeks, so not totally 100% on him being a boy, but definately spunky like one. Loves to hang out, spaz out, and jump all over the place. Listens fairly well. Have done some research and have a nice diet plan. His cage (which is plenty big) has Timothy hay, food pellets in his bowl, obviously his water bottle, litter box with litter 'stuff', a house for him (even though he prefers to sleep on top of it), and bedding which he likes to toss where he pleases (finally stopped). Have a couple chew toys, he seems to love the wood ones. Doesn't touch his salt lick much. Loves his hay. Loved his little portion of kale, mini carrot, and romaine lettuce I gave him throughout the day. He also was pooping in one corner, so put his litter box there, then starting pooping in the other corner. May take awhile to potty train, but he has done nothing outside his cage! He actually goes right back in to go the bathroom and then comes back out.

018.jpg
    025.jpg
    028.jpg

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Too cute! With a varied diet, he'll probably leave the salt lick alone :)

To help potty train him, try putting some hay in the tray, so that he has to get in there to munch on it.