Help With Lights For Tank With Hood

bozatron

HI All,

I am hoping to get a 5ft long tank soon and want one that comes with a good. I wanted to get your advice on what led lights I could use that could be placed either inside the hood, on top of the tank. Most of the ones I've seen look like they are made to sit above the tank (which usually has a glass lid), but I really like having a hood.

Any suggestions on the type of lighting that would work would be great!! Have attached a photo of what the hood looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.PNG
    IMG_1311.PNG
    125.4 KB · Views: 53

TexasDomer

Is there a reason you like a hood vs glass lids? Glass lids would give you so much more freedom with lighting (and they look so much more sleek to me!). You could always put a canopy over the tank to hide the glass lids and lighting.

bozatron

Is there a reason you like a hood vs glass lids? Glass lids would give you so much more freedom with lighting (and they look so much more sleek to me!). You could always put a canopy over the tank to hide the glass lids and lighting.

No real reason, really. I just know it is a lot easier to find the wooden hoods rather than glass lids, particularly in Australia!!

TexasDomer

Ah okay. In the US, glass lids are much easier to find. You could always do DIY glass lids as well, if you have somewhere near you that sells/cuts glass.

Can you take a picture of the underside of the wooden hoods (or find a pic online)?

bozatron

Ah okay. In the US, glass lids are much easier to find. You could always do DIY glass lids as well, if you have somewhere near you that sells/cuts glass.

Can you take a picture of the underside of the wooden hoods (or find a pic online)?

I can do you one better and give you a YouTube video of the setup that I am looking at (obviously the one in the video is smaller)!

I believe I can ask them to make the hood taller if needed.

TexasDomer

That didn't show the underside of the back part of the hood. Is there a lighting fixture already in there, just waiting for a bulb? Or is no lighting included?

bozatron

That didn't show the underside of the back part of the hood. Is there a lighting fixture already in there, just waiting for a bulb? Or is no lighting included?

Ah, sorry about that.

No lighting included so I'd have to DIY it.

TexasDomer

Gives you options then! I don't know what kind of fixtures you have available there. Do you have links to options? It looks like most any fixture would fit on top of the glass braces.

In addition to aquarium specific lighting, consider DIY. I use dome lights from a hardware store with plant friendly bulbs on 5 of my 7 tanks. They can grow plants well!

bozatron

Gives you options then! I don't know what kind of fixtures you have available there. Do you have links to options? It looks like most any fixture would fit on top of the glass braces.

In addition to aquarium specific lighting, consider DIY. I use dome lights from a hardware store with plant friendly bulbs on 5 of my 7 tanks. They can grow plants well!

This is the store where I'm planning on getting the tank from, and so if I buy lights they might give me a good deal!

LED Aquarium Lighting -Amazing Amazon

However, there's heaps of online shops like TechDen that seem to have a range of lights available. I'd love LED as they look great!

TexasDomer

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Those lights are expensive, and the DIY option would be much cheaper (and you can use LED bulbs).

bozatron

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Those lights are expensive, and the DIY option would be much cheaper (and you can use LED bulbs).

I guess I want to spend as little a possible, while still ensuring that the lights are good and safe.
Do you have a link on how to set up LED lights DIY style? I've never done anything like that before but it sounds like it might be a good option.
Thanks so much for your help!

TexasDomer

You're welcome!

This is what I use:

You want stronger and more lights for deeper tanks.

bozatron

You're welcome!

This is what I use:

You want stronger and more lights for deeper tanks.

Ah, thanks!! Would you just sit these on top of the glass braces?

TexasDomer

You could likely find a way to attach them to the hood, if it's tall enough.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AleNanoTank
  • Question
Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
Arvil
Replies