Help with LED planted tank lightning

Leo Buddy

sorry for my bad english I have been googling this answer for quite some time but there is no serious answer to my question
so heres the question: Do cheap chinese brand LED light strips works for planted tank?? do they help grow plants? is there a very big difference between high end aquarium lightning brand (finnex,Fluval) and Normal home use LED strips?
I only want to grow easy beginner aquatic plants in my 50 gallon tank (water wisteria,vallisneria) the LED strips in local shop are veeeeeeery bright that I can't even look at it! I have been thinking of adding white,blue,red LED strips for my tank

anyone here ever had any luck growing aquatic plants with these LED strips?

(Before some1 suggest me buying fluval or finnex I can't afford it they are also hard to find in my country,,so no that's not an option for me. its either build a rocky aquarium without single plant or buy these LED strips)

aquariumguy174

I use LED strips in my betta tank and the plants grow very well I don't see any reason why you shouldn't just make sure you buy it from a good brand

bleedingheartmommy

I know what your asking, answer is yes and no. I have cheap LED lights rated only for fish viewing and not plant growing. In a shallower smaller tank, anubias, amazon sword, java fern and other hardy low light beginner plants will all live and grow a little with poor lighting but in such a deep tank as 50 gal I think you may need to be cautious of the type of plant. Get an anubias, if the lights don't keep it alive then nothing will flourish (they are nearly indestructible). Plus taller plants that sit closer to waters surface will aid in low light setup, plus some form of fertilizer (liquid is simple and inexpensive)

Leo Buddy

how about adding super bright LED lights with very big LED bulbs? I can afford that..

bleedingheartmommy

Wow, beautiful tank ^jealous face ^ and lovely fish!!!

Leo Buddy

ChrisX said:
I used a single chinese RGBW led strip in my tank. I just set it up so I don't know how well it will grow plants. But it looks bright.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-grow-low-light-java-fern-anubias-etc.255273/
@ChriX I hope we both get lucky enough with these cheap lights it will b a real victory for me but I do know a guy who has turned his aquarium into Vallisneria there's not even space for a single leaf left !! but he use simple classic 40w yellow bulb nothing else but I have to admit his tank is 25-30gallon n 40w bulb is overkill (if we count watt per gallon) but the point is he grow that jungle without the help of 100$ high tech designed for planted tank light n he don't use liquid fertilizer or anything! lucky dude

Leo Buddy

anyone else here with cheap lighting on planted tank?? :-[

max h

I'm using 2 Beamswork ET-120 lights on my tank. The lights are in the 6500k range for plant growth and are cheap. The total cost for both was $50 US delivered.

MikeRad89

The beamswork 6500k LED is the best light for the price.

jakefoster

+1 on the beamswork. $40 for my 2ft. got it the other day and super impressed! unfortunately I accidently got the 10,000k but I only have java ferns attatched to driftwood I think it will be ok. they have been living until now no problem with just natural light

max h

MikeRad89 said:
The beamswork 6500k LED is the best light for the price.
It's wonders on my plants, in 6 weeks they have pretty much tripled in size.

Leo Buddy

max h said:
I'm using 2 Beamswork ET-120 lights on my tank. The lights are in the 6500k range for plant growth and are cheap. The total cost for both was $50 US delivered.
for me $50 means PKR 5241 while led strips even very bright won't cost me more than pkr 500 that's y its my only option but thnx for the info

max h

Leo Buddy said:
for me $50 means PKR 5241 while led strips even very bright won't cost me more than pkr 500 that's y its my only option but thnx for the info
It would depend on the length of your tank. I had to go with 2 120cm lights to get full coverage on my tank since it's around 175cm in length.

ChrisX

max h said:

How much "overhang" do the beamwork lights have? I want to get the 30" one for my 29 gallon tank, but need to install it inside the plastic hood, which would require taking off the ends. Curious how much shorter the light can be made by removing the hardware at the ends?

max h

ChrisX said:
How much "overhang" do the beamwork lights have? I want to get the 30" one for my 29 gallon tank, but need to install it inside the plastic hood, which would require taking off the ends. Curious how much shorter the light can be made by removing the hardware at the ends?
The ones I bought where pretty much right around the 48" mark without the plastic legs attached. I'm not sure about their other models with the metal telescopic legs.

Top Bottom