Help With Koi I.d.

Quit

So I recently came across this blue Koi fish at my LFS and I really have never seen a blue koi before in person and he was in an assorted Koi tank with all the "regular" colored Kois for 2.99 so I decided to pick him up. Even the person at the register said "this was in the assorted tank?"I have a future home lined up for him, but as of now he sits in my 60 gallon tank until he gets a bit bigger. He is about 4-5 inches right now. I'm an thinking after research he/she is a gurin matsukawabake koi based on his blue/black coloring(and it changes slightly) with a slight bit of orange/copper on his forehead and angular tail fin. I don't have the best pictures as he is camera shy and runs away all the time and I really don't want to stress him so this is the best I could do thanks for the help in advance.

19575986_846506475501156_406628086_n.jpg

19553331_846506508834486_1342698052_n.jpg

KinsKicks

Hello!

Can you get an above shot? That would be the best way to discern the markings

Quit

Hello!

Can you get an above shot? That would be the best way to discern the markings

Thanks for the response, Its a bit hard but here is what I could do, this sucker is shy with the camera. lol

19692474_849740001844470_1219779145_n.jpg

19667981_849739998511137_1523757334_n.jpg

KinsKicks

Okie, I do agree that he most likely is a matsukawabake, but not a ginrin. Ginrin have very reflective scales (highly noticeable, and not the same as metallic). He's a very interesting fish for this reason and should have some fun patterning for you to look at in the future

Too bad his markings (and less spotted in some places) aren't distinct enough to be an Utsurimono, otherwise, I'd suggest showing him as the color and patterning combined would be very unique.

Quit

Okie, I do agree that he most likely is a matsukawabake, but not a ginrin. Ginrin have very reflective scales (highly noticeable, and not the same as metallic). He's a very interesting fish for this reason and should have some fun patterning for you to look at in the future

Too bad his markings (and less spotted in some places) aren't distinct enough to be an Utsurimono, otherwise, I'd suggest showing him as the color and patterning combined would be very unique.

Thank you again for the response, In person he is quite reflective, he is under blue LED lights making him look a bit less reflective(and slightly less blue lol), but I do not have the greatest knowledge in koi and he just looked really different to me, hence why I have a friend who will take him and I still get to see him grow when he gets to big for my tank. I really would like to find out what breed this is as I do really like it. I'm glad we got it narrowed down to a matsukawabake, I guess my next step would actually let a true breeder or someone who specializes in Koi in my area to give him/her a look in person.(unless anyone else wants to chime in haha) I really do like the look of the Utsurimono though, those solid blacks are nice. Makes me kinda want to build a pond haha. Thank you again

Similar Aquarium Threads

• SaberKillerWystan
  • Koi
Replies
Views
SaberKillerWystan
  • gothic fish geeks
  • Koi
Replies
Views
car 54
Replies