Help With Java Moss

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Wolf010, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Wolf010Valued MemberMember

I bought my java moss about two weeks ago and I somehow screwed up keeping a supposedly really easy plant to keep. When I first bought it, it was a really dark green, almost black with a few splotches of brown. I tied it to a piece of drift wood and plopped it into my tank. Two weeks on, it has turned almost completely brown. I gave it 4-5 h of light a day, and my tank is kept out of direct sunlight completely. Can someone tell me what I did wrong and what I can do to correct it? Thanks in advance :)

2. Wolf010Valued MemberMember

Here's a pic of how it looks like today.

Attached Files:

3. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

We’re you adding any type of fertilizer? It could have possibly used a little more light maybe 7-8 hours... are you running an led? Try to pick the brown out and put it in a jar on a window sill to see if it bounces back and you can always give it a little trim to promote growth.. but it does get a little messy trimming it

4. Wolf010Valued MemberMember

My lighting is just a single led light bulb, and I'm not using any fertilizer. I read that it required medium to low lighting and could pretty much be left in the tank on its own and it will do fine.