Help with ID please

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by abc, Aug 2, 2015.

1. abcNew MemberMember

Hello, new to the forums, but i was fishing here in Florida and happened to catch this little guy in my cast net in a small body of water. I have no clue what type of fish he is and hope someone here will know, i at first thought some type of killifish or baby bowfin but it appears to be neither to my best knowledge. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    It almost looks like some type of knifefish. Maybe a brown knifefish? hampalong may know.
    Can you take a pic of it from the side in water?

3. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

It's wide, and knifes aren't. Looks like a Snakehead...

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Id say snakehead too. I've always wanted one.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

if the fish has a long analfin then its likely to be a snakehead

6. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Agreed, check the analfin. Does it have a mouth full of teeth? Leaning Snakehead at the moment but i've never in my life seen one with this coloration before and that is what is throwing me off. Color reminds me of a Eleotris picta or Water Cow.....but I can't tell fin wise.

If it is a snakehead then I suggest you kill it immediately. Kill it and eat it or just kill it and dispose of it. It is illegal to keep in the US, federal law I believe. That is, if it is a snakehead.

Any shots of it in a tank of water from the side? Or shots of the fins extended?

EDIT: The more I look the more I lean Eleotris picta.

7. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

most def. Slug, like I mentioned we need to see that long analfin (Pause) anyways, kill it sounds so cruel, but its the violent truth.

8. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Thinking its a Eleotris picta, so don't kill it after all lol. Only kill snakeheads!

9. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

Slug, I looked up Eleotris Picta, and your right, there is many pictures of the same coloration. right on Slug! giving you some reputation points there.

10. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Wonder how it got into a small body of water in Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. abcNew MemberMember

Wow thanks everyone for the response I would have to agree that it is a Eleotris picta. But now that leads me to the question of how it would end up in Florida? It wasn't even in south Florida I caught it in Jacksonville which is just about as north as you can get in Florida and no where near its habitat.

12. abcNew MemberMember

I thought it may have been a snakehead at first like most people thought as well but the fins are not the same. But I will take a pic of it in a tank today from the side so you can see the fins.

13. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

I think it's a bigmouth sleeper goby Gobiomorus domitor.

14. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Like most non natives in Florida someone probably dumped it and it thrived in the climate. It hails from more the west coast, Baja area in North America so I suspect Florida waters would suit it just fine.

15. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Most likely a Sleeper Goby, Dormitator maculatus, usually found in brackish waters, but I did find a few in freshwaters near the intracoastal around Jacksonville. The color is odd, but I believe it is stress pattern. It is native, not introduced.

16. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Regardless of which species it is( water cow or bigmouth sleeper). It is going to get big and eat any tank mate it can.

17. slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

It's not Dormitator maculatus they don't have a black stripe like that.

18. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Colouring and markings out of water are generally different...

19. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I have seen D. maculatus look like that when stressed, but after a second look at the mouth, I would agree that it is not that species. However, there are other Gobies native to that region. I suggest a little more research before assuming that it's an introduced species, which has a very low probability in that part of the state.

I would really like to see a broadside photo of the fish in an aquarium.

20. abcNew MemberMember

here is a better photo of the fish. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice