Help with ich

Olivia Janae
So I see that the best treatment for ich is to turn the heat up to 86. However, I have mystery snails, nerite snails, and amino shrimp in the tank too. Can they survive that?

Valleriani
There's a good chance your snails will die from the heat, I wouldn't risk it. I don't know about the shrimp but I believe that would be a no as well. I would try to move them even if it's a small tank (and feed them here and there with a wafer or cooked spinach leaf) if there isn't enough algae.

Yes, the best treatment is heating the tank up though :D

Olivia Janae
I’m literally only seeing it again on the fish that were dying randomly so I’m wondering if this is the issue.
If I move my shrimp and snails, won’t I just be bringing ich to the other tank/a quarantine tank?
Would it be smarter to get Ich-x?
I can but it won’t be here until Friday

(edit)
After more research, it seems my cories are in danger too. So what do you guys think I should do until my Ich-x arrives?

barbiespoodle
Yuck, ich. Been there, done that and did not buy the tee shirt because I don't want to remember the experience since it was during a major cancer operation and I pulled myself up by the bootstrings long enough to take care of my tank which was not easy to say the least, but parasites don't care, lol.

To start with, the shrimp and snails are not going to transport it because they have hard shell thus nothing for the ich parasite to latch onto so don't be worried about moving them out during treatment and then putting them back in.

I have shrimp, but they were not in the tank that got ich so don't know how the meds would affect them. I did and still do have nerite snails that did go through the treatment and survive. Maybe it was the treatment I used so don't use me as an example in the matter of the snails.

As far as the increase of temp, shrimp can handle a high temp as long as it's a gradual upgrade in temps, I can't speak for the snails.

Now here's what I did when I ended up with a major case of ich thanks to me being stupid and not quaranteeing. Removing all charcoal, which wasn't a problem since I don't use charcoal, and then dosing the tank for the required amount of time. I never raised the temp, only did the recommended water changes. And the fish and plants all survived the treatment.

The ich and my cancer have both been gone for going on two years now, yea!, lol.

Olivia Janae
barbiespoodle said:
Yuck, ich. Been there, done that and did not buy the tee shirt because I don't want to remember the experience since it was during a major cancer operation and I pulled myself up by the bootstrings long enough to take care of my tank which was not easy to say the least, but parasites don't care, lol.

To start with, the shrimp and snails are not going to transport it because they have hard shell thus nothing for the ich parasite to latch onto so don't be worried about moving them out during treatment and then putting them back in.

I have shrimp, but they were not in the tank that got ich so don't know how the meds would affect them. I did and still do have nerite snails that did go through the treatment and survive. Maybe it was the treatment I used so don't use me as an example in the matter of the snails.

As far as the increase of temp, shrimp can handle a high temp as long as it's a gradual upgrade in temps, I can't speak for the snails.

Now here's what I did when I ended up with a major case of ich thanks to me being stupid and not quaranteeing. Removing all charcoal, which wasn't a problem since I don't use charcoal, and then dosing the tank for the required amount of time. I never raised the temp, only did the recommended water changes. And the fish and plants all survived the treatment.

The ich and my cancer have both been gone for going on two years now, yea!, lol.
Congrats on the cancer!!!!
what did you use btw? I think I missed what you treated with

barbiespoodle
Well since it's been almost two years and I wasn't in a good place at the time and top it off with an old lady's sketchy memory, I don't know the exact brand and don't have any left to give a name.

But I do remember it was blue since it not only made my tank water blue but also stained the airline tubing on the sponge filters blue, lol.

Sorry I can't be more help in that respect.

Olivia Janae
Totally okay!

Kathylee
Olivia Janae said:
Totally okay!
I am currently battling ICH right now! On ottocinculus. I have a small 5 gallon QT, I added salt for a few days BUT then started using ICH-X I think i'm on Day 4 or 5 now & almost ALL of its gone! And my plants and snails are okay (big bonus) I could not find an adjustable heater small enough to put in there so I gave up on the increasing temperature idea. But just wanted to let you know ICH-X is really helping. How long until it's delivered?

Olivia Janae
Kathylee said:
I am currently battling ICH right now! On ottocinculus. I have a small 5 gallon QT, I added salt for a few days BUT then started using ICH-X I think i'm on Day 4 or 5 now & almost ALL of its gone! And my plants and snails are okay (big bonus) I could not find an adjustable heater small enough to put in there so I gave up on the increasing temperature idea. But just wanted to let you know ICH-X is really helping. How long until it's delivered?
Not until Friday, so I’m kind of worried

Top Bottom