Help with ich

1. Easy Initiate Member

Hey guys I've had a small out break of ich for a few weeks now I read on here that the best non medications way is temp around 86 salt and garlic with the food to boost immune system. Well I have a discus and its my understanding that salt is hard on them so I have not added any. What should be my next move here? I been doing about a 15% water change every 3 days and my normal 25% on sunday. Also I think the high water temp is killing my plant new to live plants so unsure of the name.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. Shine Well Known Member Member

Just make sure the water you use in your water changes is matched to the tank temp ;)

Other then that: Keep the heat raised for a FULL two weeks, even if you don't see any ich on the fish after the first week. Continue to do gravel vacs to pick up spoors in the gravel. And if the fish look stressed try to add more aeration.

Sometimes the heat will kill plants. Depends on the type. Don't worry about salt. It isn't actually necessary with the heat treatment.

Just be aware that the fish sometimes look worse before they get better. The heat speeds up the parasite's life-cycle, so it does put some stress on the fish. Less in my opinion then medication would however. Goodluck

3. Easy Initiate Member

Thanks for the quick response I have been careful of the water temp at changes was just nervous as the discus never appeared to have it and now after nearly 2 weeks it is showing up a small amount on him. I love my discus I don't want him or her sick :( uploadfromtaptalk1331615533747.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Fish Disease section of the forum.

Good tips above! :)

My Ich Treatment:

I have also used the increased heat method with a 100% survival rate. Some information may be repeated below along with some that is new.

Increase the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite, leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day. 2 degrees per hour should be fine.

Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line may help.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Make sure the new water is the same (86) temperature as what is in the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice onto the fish food 2 or 3 times each week will help to boost the fishes immune system. (link below for garlic juice):
    minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it
    Garlic Guard:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198657/product.web
    Making your own juice, recipe:
    "Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
    Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
    The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:
    GoldFish Emergency 911

Vita Chem (for additional vitamins) added to the fish food and directly into the tank will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/196391/product.web

It's been my experience that salt isn't necessary with the heat treatment.

I highly recommend Quarantine for all new fish:
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken